Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to forum and Galveston waters

Hey Guys,

I grew up fishing and on the waters in south Florida and moved here several years ago and I just bought a new Bayliners element f 18. I know this isn't the most shallow boat but I wanted something for fish and family. I've taken it out of kemah the past two weekends but I would like to do west bay this weekend. I plan on going of of tiki then fish the causeway for a bit then down the ICW to the mouth of greens lake. Then further down to the point.

Am I going to have any potential issues?

I've also seen pictures of a sandbar that people can hangout on but I don't know where this is located.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

You should be ok coming through west just stay in the marked channels. The sandbar is at sea isle on the south shoreline.

Comment

Thanks .... Would it be possible to get to that sand bar from the point or would I hit reef. How difficult is it to navigate confederates reef or carancahua reef

Comment

Welcome aboard!
        "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

There's a sand bar in Offatts at the end of the Galveston Muni airport runway that I've heard people hang out on. Never been there though. The Sand Bar Restaurant is located in Sea Isle as FP10 stated. Google Maps is your friend.

Sounds like you're coming through Green's Cut so Confederates would be to your east...it's tricky at best if you're new to it. Carancahua Reef is just west of Jamaica Beach and runs north/south. I believe there's a cut in the middle that's marked but I usually just stay way north or way south of it. One of my favorite lines on here..."approach Carancahua Reef as fast as you're prepared to hit it".

Hope that helps. Welcome to the board.

- FlyPelican

Comment

Oh...and watch out for Shell Island...it's on the south side of the bay west of Carancahua. Should be marked on most maps and you can see it at low tide.

-FP

Comment

I really appreciate the help guys. I will have my 5 year old son on board so I'm trying to figure out a place to go and let him have some fun in the water if the fish aren't biting or if he gets bored lol

Comment

Just so everyone knows I'm not looking for spots just advice for being safe.... I have noticed that there is the old train bridge. Will I have trouble with this passing through the the causeway

Comment

WELCOME !
                  The causeway train bridge is a draw bridge . If it's down I don't try passing under it with my raised console Explorer .
                  GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Welcome!
                    TroutSupport.comsigpic

Comment

Welcome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

So I went out on Saturday without knowing about the poker run.... Ended up just watching the boats through the channel... To much chop for my boat

Comment

Working...
                        X