New to Me Boat - 16' Cajun Special

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Me Boat - 16' Cajun Special

Hi everyone! Just obtained a new (to me) boat a month or so ago and I'm about ready to start fishing out of it. The boat is a 1980 Cajun Special 1644 with a Yamaha Pro50. I realize this boat is primarily a protected water machine and I've done some pretty extensive research on areas to fish out of small jon boats.... I've compiled a pretty good list. I also realize my fishable days will be much dependent on weather condition.

That being said, I have no experience operating motor vessels in the Galveston bay system and I wanted to see if anyone had some pointers on learning to navigate through the channels and sandbars. My primary areas of interest for the time being will be Chocolate Bayou/Bay, Bayou Vista/Jones Bay, and the south/east shorelines of East Bay.

Photos of boat attached just because . Appreciate any insight/tips!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2541.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	577117

Name:	IMG_2540.jpg
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	577118

Caught many a redfish and drum out of my buddy's boat just like that. It's going to be great!

You'd do great with dat boat in my bayou, and it would look pretty slick tied to my dock.
    Last edited by coachlaw; March 15, 2017, 09:11 PM.
    From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Originally posted by coachlaw View Post
      Caught many a redfish and drum out of my buddy's boat just like that. It's going to be great!
      Thanks for the words bud! I've only had it in the water once. There was a very slight chop, but the thing ran good for a flat bottom boat. My only concern with the thing is the low freeboard. Any tips?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If you're alone, keep half your butt on the seat, and half to the port side.

If you get in any rough water, point into the wind. Make sure your bilge pump is A-OK, and you're gonna be fine. In a tough chop, quarter into the breaks.
        From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Wear an auto inflatable pfd and kill switch. I'd fish the protected areas around the geo tubes. I have a flat bottom and hug shorelines and run in protected areas as well. We just have to pick our days.
          We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

I run a 14' semi v with a 15 horse so we're in essentially the same group. I run SLP, Surfside, Chocolate Bayou and out of TCD a lot. Obviously paying attention to which way the winds are blowing before I pick a spot helps. As you already know, keep it within your limits and dont get to a place where you'd be f'd if a thunderstorm rolled in. I love my little boat. Her name is the "Red Rocket."

Name:	San Luis 9-6 (2).jpg
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	562649

Comment

Originally posted by GoneCoastal View Post
              Thanks for the words bud! I've only had it in the water once. There was a very slight chop, but the thing ran good for a flat bottom boat. My only concern with the thing is the low freeboard. Any tips?

Might consider a second bilge pump and make sure it is 1000 GPH or greater. Always check weather forecasts and as Coe said, get an inflatable PFD as well as flares, a handheld VHF would be smart also. You may want to look at how your trolling and charging batteries are set up or placed and maybe consider moving them to center???
              "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Originally posted by coachlaw View Post
                If you're alone, keep half your butt on the seat, and half to the port side.

If you get in any rough water, point into the wind. Make sure your bilge pump is A-OK, and you're gonna be fine. In a tough chop, quarter into the breaks.
                Haha! Good note on the chop.

Originally posted by WestEndAngler View Post
                Wear an auto inflatable pfd and kill switch. I'd fish the protected areas around the geo tubes. I have a flat bottom and hug shorelines and run in protected areas as well. We just have to pick our days.
                10-4. I like the idea of the auto inflatable (vs the current PFD I have from my kayak).

Originally posted by wavygravy View Post
                I run a 14' semi v with a 15 horse so we're in essentially the same group. I run SLP, Surfside, Chocolate Bayou and out of TCD a lot. Obviously paying attention to which way the winds are blowing before I pick a spot helps. As you already know, keep it within your limits and dont get to a place where you'd be f'd if a thunderstorm rolled in. I love my little boat. Her name is the "Red Rocket."
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]33060[/ATTACH]
                Nice photo!

Originally posted by Robalo View Post
                Might consider a second bilge pump and make sure it is 1000 GPH or greater. Always check weather forecasts and as Coe said, get an inflatable PFD as well as flares, a handheld VHF would be smart also. You may want to look at how your trolling and charging batteries are set up or placed and maybe consider moving them to center???
                I plan to re-do wiring in the motorwell area, as some of the connections on the bilge look a little sketchy. Will check bilge pump at that time for capacity. Thanks!

As for the batteries, they are both in the rear, along with (2) 6 gallon fuel tanks. I am considering removing one of the fuel tanks. Will also look at relocating batteries to the bow. I am unsure of how much effect that will have on the stern freeboard. My impression is that the boat was designed as a bass style rig and to sit close to that level. I could be wrong, as I have had trouble finding photographs of this boat in the water.

Comment

Sounds like you have it pretty well worked out. Good fishing and be safe! BTW, you'll need to register the boat in Texas through the TPWD.
                  "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Originally posted by Robalo View Post
                    Sounds like you have it pretty well worked out. Good fishing and be safe! BTW, you'll need to register the boat in Texas through the TPWD.
                    10-4. I've already registered boat/trailer in Texas. Photographs are prior to that.

One more question: is there a resident expert on float pods/sponsons? Wondering if I can increase freeboard another 4-6" this way.

Comment

My brother did that-it really didn't help any.

Comment

Working...
                      X