need some input for a 4 day river kayak trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need some input for a 4 day river kayak trip

I know its a little OT but i figured id give it a shot anyways.

I am looking for a river that is good for a kayak and my friends homemade dory (wooden row boat) we can get a shuttle around temple texas or around houston or galveston area coast. I would also like to find a place that has some alligator gar. I have been wanting to get in on one of those for some time. A river that has campable banks is also necessary. if you have any info feel free to post up or pm me. thanks.

the colorado? not sure about porting the paddle boat though.
    michelle

Comment

his dory doesnt draft much though i know that.

heres a pic of it.

Comment

Originally posted by michelle View Post
        the colorado? not sure about porting the paddle boat though.
        michelle
        X2 on the colorado you can put in around the park in smithville or the one in la grange many good camping spots along the way.Kyle just be wary of the conditions north of there meaning rainfall.
        I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

hows fishing in the colorado?

Comment

mostly catfish.....but you can catch bass or perch....your yak have a depth finder so you can find them holes.

Comment

I just remembered i got a freind that stays at the RV camp on the river at Uteley near bastrop on 969 you can put in there and yak down to lagrange.We used to take three day weekends and put in at kirtlee and run trotlines and drink beer.

Comment

na i had one on an old yak but im a firm believer in simpler is better now.

i looked at a couple different stretches of the river here : http://southwestpaddler.com/docs/colorado.html

and it looks pretty promising, just gotta find someone to shuttle us out there. no gar though huh?

Comment

There are some monster Gar in the back parts of Armand Bayou right here coming off Clear Lake. We used to take the canoe and camp on a shoreline when we were kids. We would catch Gar and reds while chillin on the bank! Biggest one we caught was about 3', but saw much bigger ones.

Comment

I'm recall seeing them but not catching them I've got a place north of smithville on a lake that at one time was full of gar.There are gar in most of the rivers in the state.My buddy might shuttle ya'll.

Comment

If you wanna see gar i got a spot over here in san leon to yak that i've seen 20 or more gar rolling at one time but most of the time it's five or six. I think sand trout is the ticket to catching them.

Comment

Originally posted by reeltime View Post
                        If you wanna see gar i got a spot over here in san leon to yak that i've seen 20 or more gar rolling at one time but most of the time it's five or six. I think sand trout is the ticket to catching them.

might have to give that a try sometime soon. will talk to my buddy tomorrow about the colorado, but im liking it.

Comment

That stretch from 969 to the fishermans park is nice(downtown Bastrop) but from colo-vista to the smithville park is much better in my view.

Comment

I've got plenty of peeps that could help you out on the shuttle thing no sweat.

Comment

Originally posted by reeltime View Post
                              That stretch from 969 to the fishermans park is nice(downtown Bastrop) but from colo-vista to the smithville park is much better in my view.

on that link i posted which one is it? it is listed by roads. i was looking at 969 to 71 or 71to 77.

Comment

Working...
                              X