Junbile cove dredging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Junbile cove dredging

Went to Jumbile cove yesterday and saw that the dredges are working in the cove. What are they doing - geotubes ?- and any idea when they will be finished ?
    GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

I paddle past them a few times a week. What I have seen is they have created a peninsula that runs from that point in the middle of the cove out toward the west shoreline about 300 yards. On the west shoreline so far they created an island a little past where ostermayer bayou emptys out right past those old fence posts and seem to be creating a few more islands along the west shoreline, which is how that new peninsula started out. I asked a worker at the ramp the other day and he didn't know anything about geotubes. It will be nice when they fisnish as the dredging seems to dirty the water in both Jumbile and Bird Island Coves.

Comment

Any idea when they will be done? One of the few good spots to get out of the wind is back there, but you can't even get to it right now with all the dredge pipe
      Honk if you love Jesus.
      Text while driving if you want to meet him.

Comment

They're building islands and then planting cord grass with no plans for any new geotubes. The Mr. Ocha at GLO Coastal Erosion would be the best to ask about a completion date.

BTW if they built a peninsula perpendicular to that small point going West the current coming out of Rooster's cut will cut it into and island pretty fast I'd guess.

This is from the website...
        1483 West Galveston Bay Estuarine Habitat Restoration
        Partner: Texas Parks & Wildlife Department
        Type: Marsh Restoration
        In July of 2009, the GLO received an American Recovery and
        Reinvestment Act of 2009 (ARRA) grant through the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) for approximately $5.15 million to restore 328 acres of marsh complex along the backside of West Galveston Island in the Galveston Island State Park and Jumbile Cove areas. This project is being matched with CEPRA money and $250,000 from NRG Texas Power for in-kind plant donations. The engineering work phase commenced in late July 2009 and the construction phase is presently under way at Jumbile and Carancuhua Coves. The GLO is partnering with the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department to complete this project.
        Last edited by kenny; May 9, 2010, 09:55 AM.
        "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

approximately $5.15 million to restore 328 acres of marsh
          Wow!

Comment

it definatly muddys the water up. you see like black mud and then brown sand mud. 0 visibility in the black mud stuff.

Comment

sounds like a plan, very nice. thank you noaa.
              Boats and hoes.

Comment

Federal tax money, state, and private funding on the projects....without geotubes to protect the islands being built, they will just wash away like the shoreline already has in the past.
                It's a lot like beach renurishment but with slightly better results!
                "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

After some colossal failures, the GLO is a little concerned about putting in geo-textile tubes. They really don't work on the beach, and can even make erosion worse. Inland, like inshore or Galveston Island, they might stand a chance. But I am glad they didn't decide to use them ugly atrocities.

Comment

Geotubes work well in the estuaries to break the wind/waves that erode the tidal islands. Most around this bay have started to sink below water level but are still doing their job. Geotubes or any bulkheading on the beach is a bad idea and only increases erosion. There are some strategies for beach erosion control that place tubes out in the water away from the beach diagonally staggered that may help break up lateral currents.
                    "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

Thanks for the info....and as for the beach erosion, Louisianna has some successful beach granite groins that run perpendicular to the beach and I think some past the breakers with gaps between them that also make for some great fishing. That seems the way to go. I'm sketchy about this information, maybe someone knows more about it.
                      GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

They work great in the bay like Kenny said. I wish they would redo them. And put more in, in other places.
                        Fire Gerald Myers and Kent Hance!

Comment

Originally posted by Deke View Post
                          They work great in the bay like Kenny said. I wish they would redo them. And put more in, in other places.
                          They do work, but when they sink below the surface they can be a hazard if not marked.

I clipped one Saturday going into the state park even though I know they are there. I was in my little skiff that runs on a wet lawn and wasn't worried about it, but my skeg still clipped it about 3" below the surface.
                          Honk if you love Jesus.

Comment

Originally posted by GGF View Post
                            They do work, but when they sink below the surface they can be a hazard if not marked.

I clipped one Saturday going into the state park even though I know they are there. I was in my little skiff that runs on a wet lawn and wasn't worried about it, but my skeg still clipped it about 3" below the surface.

Wet lawn you say?? Let's compare skiffs

I ran over 2-3 geotubes this past weekend I didn't even blink or release the throttle
                            We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Originally posted by WestEndAngler View Post
                              Wet lawn you say?? Let's compare skiffs

I ran over 2-3 geotubes this past weekend I didn't even blink or release the throttle
                              My jack plate was down.
                              Honk if you love Jesus.

Comment

Working...
                              X