Casting Elbow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Casting Elbow

It seems I have developed tennis elbow. I've had the pain for several weeks. It started when I was practicing fly casting into the wind and got worse when I fished the next day. I spoke with a Dr. friend and he said to take ibuprofin and lay off it for a while, which I did except for some at work. Anyway, it still hurts so I made a drs. appt for monday. I don't mind the pain so much but don't want to screw it up any worse.

Anybody ever had the same problem? If so what worked to fix it? And how long did it take? It's killing me not being able to fish. I've started to learn to fly cast with my left hand but so far I suck.

Thanks

Tight wrap right below elbow will help,big red fish or jack will make you stop fishing.

Comment

x2 what sawdust said. you pretty much have to isolate the muscles in the forearm that attach to tendons on the elbow. btw, I would alternate ibuprofen & naproxen every other day...

Comment

Also, try to ice the elbow down 2 to 3 times a day for 20 to 30 minutes...

Comment

Suck it up Candy Arse. No pain no gain. LOL!

Seriously, rest is the only real cure. Like tennis elbow, there may be a flaw in your technique creating the problem. Once the inflamation goes away, you might get a pro to help refine your casting motion to avoid future problems.
          Honk if you love Jesus.
          Text while driving if you want to meet him.

Comment

Speaking from experience, Keep a gelpack in your freezer, you can get them at any drug store, and ice it 3-4 times a week and use the ibuprofin. You also should do some rehab to strenghten it. Here's a link to some exercises that will help. http://www.tennis-elbow-treatments.c...w_exercise.php I thought the rubber band exercise worked and could be done any time of day, just keep a band around your wrist. When you do start fishing again, start slowly and ice your elbow after each trip, if it hurts or not. Good luck.

Comment

I'm almost 61 .... I hurt all over ..... enjoy only the elbow hurting while you can .
              GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Originally posted by plugger View Post
                I'm almost 61 .... I hurt all over ..... enjoy only the elbow hurting while you can .
                Damn, you're older than even me!
                I'm with you on the hurting part. I mostly just ignore it.
                "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

I went through a problem with my sciatic nerve, which runs from the hip down to the ankles causing severe pain, but after about two and a half months it simply went away. I kept my exercise up but didn't torque my muscles too hard.

I got Gilbert to mow my yard, which helped a real lot, although anyone seen my new kinkless garden hose?

Comment

We call it jiggers elbow>:LOL
                    10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

Originally posted by Swells View Post
                      I went through a problem with my sciatic nerve, which runs from the hip down to the ankles causing severe pain, but after about two and a half months it simply went away. I kept my exercise up but didn't torque my muscles too hard.

I got Gilbert to mow my yard, which helped a real lot, although anyone seen my new kinkless garden hose?
                      he has been absent
                      MANVEL MOB

Comment

Keep that elbow in tighter to your body and maybe I will have to drive back to Jamaica and look at the cast again. I would definitely ice daily, don't eat the ibuprofen for too long. it's not so good for your stomach. If I was to guess, it has to do with letting the casting stroke come beside your body versus more overhead like we talked about before. Tilt the rist to the side, not your elbow.

Hope you heal up quickly!
                        http://www.theshallowist.com

Comment

Had the same thing, got two injections and it is now gone. The first injection only lasted two month. Hope you get better, if not, cast with your other hand
                          LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

Working...
                          X