OLD pics of SLP 1952?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OLD pics of SLP 1952?

A good feller sent me these. They both have the same date on them, but they are different. One shows a camp at the present location of Blockade Runners. The other doesn't. So they are not both from the same date. It's amazing what has changed and what has not changed at all. What really struck me aside from San Luis Island really being an island was how different Churchill Bayou is now.

This is my first time trying to post PDF files. Hopefully it works. It's really cool to take this trip back in time. - Sandy
    Attached Files
    From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

I think I see the reef that peeled all the paint off my skeg in the first one...

Comment

Wasn't me that did that. I know where all that stuff is.
      From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Originally posted by coachlaw View Post
        Wasn't me that did that. I know where all that stuff is.

That one was all on me buddy...

Comment

Neat , thanks !!
          GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

I like seeing where treasure island was still almost an island ....

Also the oyster lumps are in the water, and now there on land
            FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN

Comment

Those are pretty cool Sandy. You are very right about how little has changed. i look at those shoreline pics and they are nearly the same today. It's the bars and guts that shift down there, every year!

Thanks for sharing with the class.
              http://www.theshallowist.com

Comment

Sandy, thanks for sharing. That is really neat. What I'd give to fish that area back in the day.

Comment

Pretty cool coach. I have a book that I found laying around my dad’s house. I have been reading it when I am over there. Here are some things I remember reading about the early days of the west end.

Coast Guard had a station where the water tower at SLP stands now. It was there to help control bootlegging.

Prior to the 1900’s storm SLP was going to be turned into a shipped port.

I’ll get the name of the book next time I am over there.

Comment

Very cool photos. Thanks for sharing. Did your friend indicate that he might have stereo pairs of the photos? If so, I've a magnified aerial photo stereoscope that can be used to view these in "3D".
                    At his baptism, Sam Houston was told his sins were washed away. He reportedly replied, “I pity the fish downstream.” - Nov. 19, 1854 - Independence, Texas

Comment

He said he got these from the GLO. No indication whatsoever of stereo photos.

Comment

Thanks for posting these.

The area that is presently the cove west of Treasure Island used to be an open pass thru the beach. It was called Little Pass.
                        You can get a good idea of what it looked like from those pictures.
                        I'll bet that was an awesome place to fish 60yrs ago.
                        West End Anglers - You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Comment

The photos are available online at the GLO archive site.
                          Here is a downloadable .pdf of the Lake Como area:

They appear to be shot as stereo pairs, but the altitude is pretty high on these.

Originally posted by coachlaw View Post
                          He said he got these from the GLO. No indication whatsoever of stereo photos.
                          At his baptism, Sam Houston was told his sins were washed away. He reportedly replied, “I pity the fish downstream.” - Nov. 19, 1854 - Independence, Texas

Comment

back in about 1990, I sent off a request to USAD for old aerial photograhs of the ranch up here. and then hooked up w/ the National Archive Trust Fund Board and they sent me a 1940 aerial photo, which was the earliest that they had. but this is in Robertson County and there werent even many paved roads here then(meaning nobody had reason to care for photos). Im assuming that for the coast they would have them that date much earlier.

The old photos are plain out cool and to me its dammm interesting to see what things use to look like. I keep diaries and records of everything ive ever done and can go back and find the contact numbers from them out of storage if you want them. My guess is that they have them alot earlier than 1940.

Comment

Working...
                            X