3/29/14 decent trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3/29/14 decent trip

A co worker of mine invited me on an east matagorda trip in his old well craft this past weekend.
    Saturday met us with high pressure behind the front that passed Friday and shifting winds .
    We poked around the bay for a little while and tried the old gulf cut first.
    The current was ripping and I'm not one to try and tell another man how to position his boat but long story short I figured it would be more productive to drink a beer while he drown live shrimp.
    I suggested we move and we headed to the south shoreline .
    Eventually after about a thousand little black bugs tried to make new homes in our noses and ears we moved again heading east up the shoreline .
    We came to the old oyster farm reef area and I abandoned ship.
    I started working a purple back glitter belly sea shad 4" on 1/8 oz Berkeley darter head.
    I really think those heads give small swimbaits a great action due to the short shank and shape of the composite head.
    First I worked the front side of the reef where the waves were churning and I saw a few big mullet made some short hops ( hadn't seen any bait since the intercoastal)
    No luck there. I moved around to the back side and worked through the "pass" between the exposed reefs and when I got to the drop off just before the mud flat past the reefs I felt a tick just before my lure touch bottom. I set the book and almost thought I had missed but then I went to take up the slack and it was on!
    After a few good runs and an attempt to run between my legs I strung a 22" 3lb trout.
    6 casts later I hooked up on a very strong red but after taking about 10 yards of line in a few seconds it rubbed me off on a clump of reef.
    The bite shut down after that and the wind starting blowing south, the tide stood and then started flowing out so I tried the outside or the reef again but then my gf and co worker started catching still rays at an alarming rate so. We called it a day and headed back to the harbor where ol' Steve snapped the steerig cable and I'm sure you can guess who got to winch the boat in!Click image for larger version

Name:	2014032995162619_2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	575268

Lmao! Great report!

Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life.
    "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

When I read Wellcraft and East Matagorda all I could think of was the quantity of fiberglas deposited on all those shallow reefs. I had a buddy that ran a 21' Whaler down there for years and if I had a nickel for every reef we ran over in East Matty, I would be a retired man by now.

Great report. Thanks
      JYC
      "Shut up and jerk your croaker" - James Fox

Comment

Haha yep! It takes a whole lot for me to wonder if the means justify the end when it comes to fishing but I was missing my kayak a whole lot that day!

Comment

Nice trip! Thanks for the report. Yep, that's the price one pays for being a first mate. LOL

Comment

Working...
          X