No announcement yet.

Trim Switch Not Working Right...Ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trim Switch Not Working Right...Ideas?

Weird deal. My trim buttons engine/binnacle aren't working properly. Sometimes it will trim up but not down, or down and not up. It's clicking in a module bolted next to middle plug?
    "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Trim relay is bad if it happens with both switches. Should be fairly simple to replace and relatively inexpensive. 20 or 30 bucks I'm guessing.
    Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ibtsoom View Post
      Trim relay is bad if it happens with both switches. Should be fairly simple to replace and relatively inexpensive. 20 or 30 bucks I'm guessing.
      The relays for the jack plate are simple, just unplug and plug in new ones. This looks more complicated.
      "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

What kind of motor do you have Kenny?
        Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

What kind of motor?
          Today is a new day!!

Comment

Yamaha 90 2stroke
            "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

If both relays are doing it, I wouldn't think it's a relay. Look for corroded wires, especially the ground wire.

Comment

This is an awesome site. So much knowledge, so few unanswered questions. Good luck, Kenny.

Comment

Trace the wires from the pump back to the relays. Should be under the cowling - Depending upon the year it could just be one big (unfortunately pricey) relay or more likely there are 2. Hopefully the wires (blue and green I think) are just a bit corroded on the connectors or the ground is corroded.
                  Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Usually when the relay starts acting up it's because the internal contacts have become pitted
                    and not enough current will flow to the trim motor. I think I paid around $100 and changed it
                    out myself. If any water reached the trim motor the same thing will happen, so pick your poison.
                    Good luck Kenny.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_A View Post
                      If both relays are doing it, I wouldn't think it's a relay. Look for corroded wires, especially the ground wire.
                      Yeah, that's what it seems like. I'll run it tomorrow like it is and work on it this week
                      "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

Ok, I cleaned up some connections and the trim works at the helm but up only at the engine. Good enough is good enough!
                        Thanks for all the suggestions too.
                        "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

Working...
                        X