Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tournament

Hey yall I have only had the privilege of fishing Galveston three times. Two of the times I kayak fished the Bayou Vista/ Louis Bait Camp area. Both times were awful but I do know that, that place is a prime spot at certain times. The other place I fished was the marsh near Greens lake. It was slow but managed to catch some top water reds and a few flounder. When I fished Greens, the gated community Harborwalk I think was not fully closed so I could easily access it in my kayak. I fished Bayou Vista both times during March and I fished Greens in November. I just wanted to let yall know a little of my experience in Galveston. I have a collegiate tournament coming up in three weeks on the 23rd and have been studying the maps hard and finding out as much information on my own as possible and I'd love some feed back on what I found. I am really interested in pre-fishing the stretch of Eckert Bayou to Gangs Bayou and even paddling out to South Deer Island to try that and the Confederate Reef. I guess I want to know that I am not crazy for choosing this spot over the Bayou Vista area to pre-fish.

Thanks and keep a hook wet
    1 Corinthians 13

All depends on what kind of tournament it is. Tide will also play a big factor in the areas you mentioned.

Comment

The Bayou Vista marsh (Pierce Marsh) is noob central, so your results are pretty typical. It has its times, but March is not really the best month for it. Seems like there and Sportsman's rd get the most press, so all the new yakkers go there for their skunk. Late Summer and Fall are the best times there, especially on an outgoing or low tide, and preferably on a weekday due to all the crowds.

Greens and the areas around it in Nov. are good, makes sense that you caught a few there. That area has always been off limits to lauch near harborwak (private property to the W), so be careful. I woudn't recommend making it a habit to park there.

Not too sure where Gang's is but since Pirate's is to the W I assume you are talking about Starvation Cove. February is still a bit cold, but depending on the weather, it could hold some fish if we haven't gotten a recent front. The upper W. Bay area around Confederate Reef would probably be a better choice, but it is fished hard by all folks, PB and yak alike.

You really need to get down here and fish these areas in person. Pouring over maps and forum posts can only get you so far.

Comment

Oh, welcome to FWE by the way.

Comment

Great info milkjug. Welcome aboard.
          Mirrolure Pro Staff

Comment

Thanks for the info and welcome! This is the best forum and group I have seen with yalls tournaments and meetings etc... Milkjug, I plan on coming this Saturday and the following Saturday. Yes, I am talking about the Starvation Cove area. Bayou Vista is where we meet for the tournament in the morning so Pierce Marsh will be overran. These tournaments are by lenght so obviously reds for the most part are preferred but if you get the slam, you get a bonus. Thing is with kayak tournaments, I have to pick the best choice and stick with it pretty much all day becasue it takes away alot of fishing time to pack up, leave, then unload again. Thats why I like the Sportsman rd. area because it offers alot of variety in a fairly small area.
            1 Corinthians 13

Comment

Welcome aboard, BigRed. Post up in the Welcome section and introduce yourself.
              "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Working...
              X