Fishing this week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing this week

It was another good week of fishing, though the weather and tides got worse as the week went on. When the wind, sin and tide have been right, fishing has been very good! When the tides are higher or the skies get cloudy, things get a little tougher.

I had a great day of fly fishing with Lawrence and Sam, Lawrence has been at this for a while and Sam is just getting started with fly fishing. Our first stop wasn't all that I was hoping for or what I had been seeing there, but we saw a few, then found a GOOD school moving down a shoreline. Lawrence dropped a nice cast on them and was immediately hooked up with and angry 24 inch red that nearly got him into the backing. From there, we went on to several other spots that have been good on recent days and they didn't let us down. Overall, we saw 15 different pods of fish, with the final pod having somewhere near 50 fish. We also saw lots of single fish cruising. For whatever reason, my guess is the very clear water, the cruisers were very spooky this day. We ended up landing 11 or 12 total redfish up to about 25 inches. Sam caught his first red on fly from a boat and then repeated it 3 more times. We had a double on fly, but didn't land both. Just a great day for fly fishing.

I got to take a father son charter, Max and Jackson. Jackson is 7 and had a blast catching his first shallow water redfish. We fished plastics and spoons, for a half day. The sunlight was there but the tides were higher than I would have liked. We landed 6 reds, 1 trout and 1 flounder. Jackson cast and hooked 2 reds all on his own. We saw only two pods of fish, but both were very good schools. best fish were 24-25, and a couple were small again.

Fished with one of my regulars, Eric Arredondo, for an afternoon, and had declining conditions. Again we only found a few fish up and active, and with heavy cloud cover, we had a hard time sight casting. we only landed 5 reds with the best coming from a double we got on a very angry school that was rumbling across a back lake. Unfortunately, there just wasn't much going on that afternoon and we didn't have the visibility to see laid up fish with the heavy cloud cover.

Today had another new customer, Dan, and we started with the heavy cloud cover, that was very persistent and didn't leave us until the last hour that he had to fish. We saw two pods early, during periods where the wind had picked and and maneuvering the boat was tough. overall, this was the toughest day of the week with the fewest fish sightings. We saw enough to help Dan land 2 of 4 that he hooked on fly. This was only the 3rd day Dan had ever had a fly rod in his hand, so i'm not totally disappointed, just that I know we have had much better fishing than this lately. We probably only had 10-15 legit shots. Several were when we had wind shifts and were poling and casting up wind. When the conditions were better, less clouds and wind, we just didn't see many fish. High tides and cloud cover can bust up a good day quick and that's what we dealt with for 5 hours.

It was a good week overall, but with slightly better conditions, like the day with Sam and Lawrence, it becomes very obvious that we have a ton of redfish left to catch....... I guess I have to try a little harder this coming week.
    Attached Files
    http://www.theshallowist.com

More pics
    Attached Files

Comment

Good job.Did you see that southshore potlicking you about a mile away friday..
      I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

Which day Chris?

Comment

friday!
          I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

Fishing this week

We were west of you for a while there on fri Steve.
            Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Nice! Sounds like you had some happy clients!
              TDFT Certified Weighmaster

Comment

Fishing this week

Awesome Report!!!!!even better pics
                Very nice job Capt Soule !
                Guys if you have never done this type
                Of fishing before ... You need to check this out ... Great in your face redfishing
                Captain Glenn Stevens
                Coastal Guide Service
                www.Fishcoastal.com

Comment

WTG Capt Steve.....You still owe me one! We need to get out after my leg heals. Springtime!
                  sigpic
                  Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Originally posted by imhammer View Post
                    WTG Capt Steve.....You still owe me one! We need to get out after my leg heals. Springtime!
                    Thanks Chip. But how do I owe you one, seems like you promised me you were booking a trip for helping you win big trout two years ago..... LOL

Comment

Thanks for the update & the great pictures.It has been good lately.
                      SKIFFSTIFF

Comment

Working...
                      X