Meyers Lemon Fail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meyers Lemon Fail

My five year old tree was completely LOADED with blooms, then the pre- Easter front hit and blew all the blooms off. Then the giant aphids ate it half up almost overnight. I'll be lucky to get 2 lemons this year.
    "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Ours still has fruit, so far.
    We had a terrible crop last year. The blooms stuck, but the fruit got knocked off with the windy May. Wound up with only a dozen or so lemons.

Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life.
    "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

My potted lime tree has produced like a champ so I put a Meyer lemon in a big pot about 3 years ago . In sting it makes a bunch of blossoms that promptly go AWOL . Leaves turn yellow too . I'm using HASTAGRO ORGANIC liquid fertilizer . It's great stuff . I'm getting a number of new leaves , more than in the past . I hate aphids and mealy bugs .
      GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

I've got no luck with lemons at all. Going to have way more grapefruit than I can handle though if you guys want any. They ripen in late November.
        Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ibtsoom View Post
          I've got no luck with lemons at all. Going to have way more grapefruit than I can handle though if you guys want any. They ripen in late November.

I never had any luck with lemons either. Grapefruit was always giving every year then I had to cut it down. I miss not having a grapefruit tree.

Comment

I have 3 lemons on mine. Planted last year. Bugs went to town on the crown, and now I am starting to get some curling and yellowing on some of the leaves. Advice anyone?
            TDFT Certified Weighmaster

Comment

Originally posted by FishinAddiction View Post
              I have 3 lemons on mine. Planted last year. Bugs went to town on the crown, and now I am starting to get some curling and yellowing on some of the leaves. Advice anyone?
              Chlorosis - Check out this link.. It'll fix you up.

Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Much appreciated!
                TDFT Certified Weighmaster

Comment

Last year I chopped my Meyers down after getting 3 gallons of Lemon Juice and freezing it. It had developed some huge thorns on several branches and that was it for me. It was extremely healthy and also my Satsuma are or were over 10 years old. Both healthy producers. The lemon stump keeps putting out growth but I keep taking it off.
                  I always dump a qt of Epsom salts around the drip line and anywhere I dig or scrape weeds under each I hit rusty nails or rusty iron pieces. Bury whatever rusts that you don't want any more under any citrus here in our area. My grandma made me do it years ago on her citrus and Cape Jasmine trees in Alvin. She was also a big big believer using Epsom salts. Her tomatoes got some too but she sprinkled that on the blooms and also when she planted them.
                  "Nobody's so poor that somebody can't get rich screwing 'em."

Comment

My (2) 4 yr old trees did just like Kenny's , I have a few lemons starting but not many.

Comment

It had developed some huge thorns on several branches and that was it for me.
                      It could have shot out some suckers from the rootstock. Citrus are often grafted onto the roots of hardier closely-related plants. I'm guessing the branches with the big thorns came from near the base of the tree. Prune these off, along with any other branches that come from below the graft line. I could be wrong though, some myers are just thorny.

The lemon stump keeps putting out growth but I keep taking it off.
                      If you want another citrus tree, you could graft a cutting of a new citrus that you want to one of these shoots. Prune all other shoots once the graft takes, and you will have a new tree in no time due to the already-developed root system.

Comment

The satsuma was grafted on Trifolieta root stock from Frobergs in Alvin. Don't know about that damn Meyers. purchased it from them also. They have some good stock for sure. 1 tree is enough lemons for a whole city block! Anything with thorns aint for me. My wifes Roses mysteriously disappear also.
                        "Nobody's so poor that somebody can't get rich screwing 'em."

Comment

Working...
                        X