beginner in need of near shore basics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• beginner in need of near shore basics

I've been boating since i was knee high to a grass hopper and been to the jetties multiple times in a single engine skiff, but never been off shore. Finally got enough money scraped up to try this near shore fishing (since inshore is slooooow) and i'm in need of the basic advice. anything will help. the boat is a 23 parker big bay. e.g. winds, weather, what to steer clear of, good basic spot to launch, basic rig fishing tackle.

also, if any of yall have near shore kayak fished im looking to get into that

thanks, Pete

That parker is a deep v ? Not a shallow draft i take it . You could use the same rigs you have been using to drift mid bay reefs especially now in summertime and the ship channel . A deep draft boat is ok at the texas city dike main launch near the end , galveston yacht club . That little skiff is your best choice really all around . You can get closer to the shore with it . Good luck !
    GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Ok , i messed up . You said near shore , not bay . The launch places are still good . I don't do off shore nor near shore .
      GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

I just ran across this on the TPWD site. It is an interactive map that allows you to see the 9 NM line as well as artificial reefs and standing rigs.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/gis/ris/artificialreefs/#

Just select the options that you want in the upper left and it'll draw it out and give you coordinates.

Comment

fish a carolina rig (3-6 ounces) with live shrimp with circle hooks (or cut bait) during the fall/winter at the state-water rigs in front of the seawall. You can catch bull reds, sheepshead, black drum, and keeper snapper all within 9 miles of shore. During october and november, check the farewell buoys for ling and tripletail, they get really thick during the fall! Use a small circle hook, 8/0 or so, and pitch live shrimp at the ling/tripletail.

For sharks, take a flat of poagies and create a huge slick anywhere on the beachfront. then drift back any fresh dead bait on a large circle hook and wait.
          Last edited by RSN; August 20, 2013, 12:47 PM. Reason: I cannot spell

Comment

by the way, inshore fishing is not slow. You can keep your rod bent all day without ever leaving state waters, message me if you want.

-RSN

Comment

I want to get more information on this subject, I can say my offshore time was on the wharf-cat down in port aransas years ago. Loved the king trips draggin ribbon fish. I would be running out of galveston, on flat days, need to catch some good tasting fish, Figuring there will be some of those stellar
              flat cool days coming soon.

Comment

.Haven't run offshore out of Galveston. Good basic and free launch at end of TC Dike. Free on M-Th, $5 on F-Sun. 3 ramps will handle big boats. No facilities except Out houses. bait at base of dike several places. have to pull through town and pass high school. If fishing rigs or wrecks, get a good offshore chart or load waypoints to your GPS from Breakwater Marine, sponsor here...just for starters and you can research here or nearshore or offshore stuff...

Comment

Working...
                X