Getting my butt kicked in Rockport - Labor Day Weekend 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting my butt kicked in Rockport - Labor Day Weekend 2011

We came down to Palm Harbor with some friends this weekend. I've had the kayak out on Estes Flat yesterday and today. Been out at first light. Saw a good deal of mullet over shallow grass and saw the odd roll of fish whacking bait but bites have been few and far between.

Yesterday paddled out under calm conditions and fished the back lakes of Talley Island. My 8yo son broke a fish off at first light (someone had been playing with the drag knob again!). I caught two undersized reds on a bone SS JR. along with the mother of all ladyfish. After 8a the wind picked up and we didn't see any more bites. Cruised the flats and guts looking for signs and nada.

This morning I went out alone. It was dead flat when I paddled out and made my first cast before the sun came up. Caught two undersized reds on a white/red SS Jr. at first light and otherwise nothing.

Both days I've been back at the house around 9 or 9:30a. It's still 100+ down here and this afternoon the wind is howling 20+ from the NW. I may soak some fresh dead with my 5yo daughter tonight off one of the piers or take her crabbing.

I'll hit it again in the morning before heading home. Hope everybody is enjoying the weekend.

JYC
    "Shut up and jerk your croaker" - James Fox

Reeltime and I will be heading there soon.Be staying with a buddy that loves to cook.So if we dont catch fish no big deal.

Comment

You guys staying in Palm Harbor? or somewhere else in Rockport. I had a blast down there on Labor Day weekend, just didn't have a big stringer to show for it.
      "Shut up and jerk your croaker" - James Fox

Comment

Working...
      X