Bolivar Pocket this weekend - ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolivar Pocket this weekend - ?

greetings all - just found this forum, glad I did!

I haven't fished the pocket in many years, mainly because I just get tired of having to deal with the ferry, so I stick to the West Galv/Surfside area. wading the surf is my favorite, but this weekend doesn't look so hot for that and my son is coming in from Austin and wants to go. we are boatless. I like the southern shoreline of Christmas Bay, as well as the back side of the pass, but just never really kill it there, although never really skunked either, seems like I always get 4 trout or so and a sprinkling of other edibles. Incoming tide looks decent for there, but weaker at Christmas, so I thought we might hit the Pocket with the south breeze that is forecast. I swear I have fished that place dozens of times but the last time was well over 15 yrs ago!!

so has it changed any? I have heard on weekends it can get packed with dubious campers and trashed out, but I think those people aren't likely to wade 3/4 mile across all the sand bars so the wade fishing will be more serious folks like us, but is your truck still safe on the beach? (as safe as anywhere else anyways). any recent reports on catches there? btw we are very able waders, surfers, and swimmers, I know how that place can be treacherous for the unaware. typically would wade bar to bar and fish in front and back of me until cant go any further. also remember a few very sharky days there when I lost some tails and more to the bastids.

this is a meat trip - so we will likely wade with live shrimp and finger mullet and a few bass assassins for back up.

also - since I haven't been there since well before Ike rearranged things so to speak, what is the best bait camp to hit? hopefully one close, would prefer to get the bait on the Bolivar side for convenience and support for the locals. Milts still open for crabs to take home too?.

any honest advice for a forum newcomer is welcome!

David

All I can say is that there have been fish caught in the surf recently and nice ones. I do know a buddy of mine that limited and caught some up to 26... he was closer to the pass. But im sure there are fish all through the surf. I like the south jetty but it needs a north wind or calm. Good luck.
    TroutSupport.comsigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TroutSupport View Post
      All I can say is that there have been fish caught in the surf recently and nice ones. I do know a buddy of mine that limited and caught some up to 26... he was closer to the pass. But im sure there are fish all through the surf. I like the south jetty but it needs a north wind or calm. Good luck.
      yeah and I missed the calm days - forecast 15 mph from S this weekend, so likely will need that north jetty to hide behind. if it holds clear that's why I am thinking that would be the place

Comment

Originally posted by surfgeo View Post
        yeah and I missed the calm days - forecast 15 mph from S this weekend, so likely will need that north jetty to hide behind. if it holds clear that's why I am thinking that would be the place
        Next Friday, June 23, is reported to be excellent fishing in two time slots. My buddies and me are taking our yaks out. Tight Lines,stay safe.

http://www.tides4fishing.com/us/texas/port-bolivar

SOLUNAR ACTIVITY: VERY HIGH
        According to the solunar theory, will be an excellent day for fishing, the fish activity forecast will be very high.

The best times of day for fishing will be:
        MAJOR PERIODS

VERY HIGH ACTIVITY

from 12:27 am to 2:27 am

Opposing lunar transit (moon down)

VERY HIGH ACTIVITY

from 12:59 pm to 2:59 pm

Lunar transit (moon up)

MINOR PERIODS

VERY HIGH ACTIVITY

from 5:59 am to 6:59 am

Moonrise
        This period of high activity coincides with sunrise; therefore the sun will exercise more influence, resulting in an excellent time for fishing.

VERY HIGH ACTIVITY

from 8:00 pm to 9:00 pm

Moonset
        This period of high activity coincides with sunset; therefore the sun will exercise more influence, resulting in an excellent time for fishing.

Keith Bodine 1st Cav 1966-1967
        RVN A/229th AHB/Door Gunner
        sigpic

Comment

They feed everyday... it's just finding the sweetspots. The wind just isn't letting up.. good thinking on the north jetty. Might blow into july this year...
          TroutSupport.comsigpic

Comment

Working...
          X