Galveston Surf: Tuna caught!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Galveston Surf: Tuna caught!

The surf was too nice to pass up and I had a break in my work so I headed out to the beachfront.

Set up a drift to catch some specks. Almost right away I found a school of the coveted JETTY TUNA cruising the surface. I skip the gulp across the top, watching them blow up on it but not hooking up. The school runs into my yak and spooks. After looking for them a while I resume the drift. I see some bait jump, and 2 casts later its TUNA ON. Who's ready for sashimi?

No specks hitting so I switched to dead shrimp and pulled in some striped fish. Plenty of undersized drum, a rat red, and a few piggys. Also lost a pompano off my stringer

Sweet!!
    "For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor that the protected will never know."

Semper Fi!

Comment

The old Texas sleigh ride! How far did you go?
      "Nobody's so poor that democrats can't get rich screwing 'em."
      boom

Comment

Sounds fun.Congrats
        NK
        Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

So is Jetty tuna another term for jacks? Hope you dont plan on sashimi jack crevelle! Nice catch though. Jacks are my favorite fish to catch hands down! They explode onto the baits and fight like nothing else!

Comment

Please let me know how that Sushi taste .... lol

Man that stringer looks like it broke out of jail with all those stripes, defenitly a convict stringer if I have ever seen one.
            FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN

Comment

Yes Jacks are more coommonly referred to as Jetty Tuna
              We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Man that stringer looks like it broke out of jail with all those stripes
                LOL, I've got them draggin the ball 'n chain!

The jack pulled me about 100 yards or so. He changed direction a lot. Since I saw my first school of jacks last summer, I've been wanting to start carrying a hook-less topwater just to watch some repeated violent blow-ups.

The "tuna" is back in the water.

Comment

Nice report

Comment

Good job Yan. Those jetty tuna sure are fun.
                    I work just enough to pay for my fishing habit.

Comment

Had one take me several miles once. I was 8 or 9 years old and I brought it in on a Zebco 33 and an Ugly Stik Jr. in a pirogue. Took me a looooong time to paddle back to the camp.
                      From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Very cool

Catching them on a topwater is a blast. Those things will try to kick your butt on that trout tackle. One of the hardest fighting fish that swims.
                        "If our father had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him." Norman Maclean, from A River Runs Through It

Comment

GHSmacker definatly knows about those jetty tuna LOL. Remember that one you hooked at the wells LOL. That was great!!!!!

AQUA PIMP
                          AQUA PIMP......
                          "SALTWATER PIMP'N AIN'T EZ"

WWW.SALTWATERASSAULT.NET

Comment

Originally posted by aqua pimp View Post
                            GHSmacker definatly knows about those jetty tuna LOL. Remember that one you hooked at the wells LOL. That was great!!!!!

AQUA PIMP
                            haha

I almost forgot about that fish. I remember i caught that big black drum at the jetties, and i was still ready to battle more big fish. I don't think i ever turned the handle during that fight...it was pretty much one sided. Still fun though.
                            "If our father had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him." Norman Maclean, from A River Runs Through It

Comment

Working...
                            X