Spearfishing???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spearfishing???

I enjoy spearfishing but I only go in freshwater. I have been uneasy going in saltwater because I dont know where to begin. I have heard that there are some local areas to go in for some saltier species. Any advice would be great. I have a kayak and a boat to get me around.
    Team Rolling Thunder

15 mi out on calmer days is going to be your best bet.

It does get clear enough on the beachfront to go, but only once or twice a year max, and you have to be ready to jump on it like a chicken on a june bug. It can look really good, but still be too murky. Look for the ability to see the bars clearly, as well as being able to see the bottom through the peaking waves.

I have seen some reports from Offat's. In the Winter, the bays can be really clear, and this is the time to try before it warms up (brrr). Find a stretch of time where the wind has been calm and give it a shot.

The man doesn't want us shooting gamefish, so sheephead, black drum, and the occasional flounder make up our target species.

Comment

When are we going?! Yan you ready to go out for a day of just targeting ling???
      We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Do you take any precautions for sharks? I suppose thats a stupid question but im used to chasing tilapia and the only thing you gotta worry about then is snakes!
        Team Rolling Thunder

Comment

When are we going?! Yan you ready to go out for a day of just targeting ling???
          Next window I am game! I've always heard that the ling are migrating through late Spring / early Summer so lets give it a shot some time. I'm sure we can pick up some mangroves too for that sweet sweet snapper meat.

Do you take any precautions for sharks? I suppose thats a stupid question but im used to chasing tilapia and the only thing you gotta worry about then is snakes!
          Nah, they are not nearly as big of a problem as you might think. They are pretty cautious of you most of the time, even when you have fish nearby. I do not invite trouble; if the boat is nearby, I will put the fish there.

You got some experience in the San Marcos? Ain't it a shame how the plecos have all but taken over that river?

Comment

I haven't been in about a 2 years and have been dying to get out. First time I had sharks around freaked me out, but if you use your gun and poke them, they know you aren't easy prey. I have not had any issues with sharks messing with us, We dive the VA Fogg Sections, and the shell platform on the way out from San Luis. I prefer rig diving myself, easy to keep your orientation as well as currents aren't as bad and if they are you still can grab the legs of the platform. Make sure you have a buddy, it will ease your mind a lot!!!!!
            Bryan Evans

Boat Werx of Texas
            (AKA Evans Marine Services)
            4340 19th St.
            Bacliff, Texas 77518
            http://evansmarine.net
            http://boatwerxtx.com
            main@boatwerxtx.com
            281-559-BOAT (2628)

Comment

x2 on a buddy. I never enter the water alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Milkjug View Post
                Next window I am game! I've always heard that the ling are migrating through late Spring / early Summer so lets give it a shot some time. I'm sure we can pick up some mangroves too for that sweet sweet snapper meat.

Nah, they are not nearly as big of a problem as you might think. They are pretty cautious of you most of the time, even when you have fish nearby. I do not invite trouble; if the boat is nearby, I will put the fish there.
                T
                You got some experience in the San Marcos? Ain't it a shame how the plecos have all but taken over that river?
                Ive spear fished in the san marcos a handful of times but thats it. I havent been in a year+ unfortunatly.
                Team Rolling Thunder

Comment

So again this might be a stupid question but are yal scuba diving or just snorkeling I have always just snorkled but I have never been in water deeper than 15 feet deep.
                  Team Rolling Thunder

Comment

Free diving typically... When we dive rigs we are going down to ~160' thus the need for tanks because I'm no world class free diver and can only hold my breath for 30 seconds once I get down to 40'

Comment

Originally posted by WestEndAngler View Post
                      I never enter the water alone.
                      That's good, because you are never alone when you enter the water.
                      "I love this country, it's the government I'm afraid of!"

Comment

....next time any of you guys head out and dive any platforms if you happen across any Spiny Oysters down deep I sure would like to have a few sets of shells to clean up!
                        I will try to keep my eye out for them but I have never remembered seeing them.

Comment

Originally posted by Galveston340
                          ....next time any of you guys head out and dive any platforms if you happen across any Spiny Oysters down deep I sure would like to have a few sets of shells to clean up!

We bleach for you... $5

I'll keep my eye out I have not seen many. I concentrate on not being eaten while down there lol

Comment

Originally posted by WestEndAngler View Post
                            We bleach for you... $5

I'll keep my eye out I have not seen many. I concentrate on not being eaten while down there lol
                            this talk of "bein eaten" makes me think I should just stick to the tilapia! So is sheepshead a fairly good starting point for a saltwater spearfishing newbie?
                            Team Rolling Thunder

Comment

Originally posted by fathernson View Post
                              this talk of "bein eaten" makes me think I should just stick to the tilapia! So is sheepshead a fairly good starting point for a saltwater spearfishing newbie?
                              I've always heard that the worste part of being attacked by a large shark is surviving. Other than that, there shouldn't be any problems.
                              "I love this country, it's the government I'm afraid of!"

Comment

Working...
                              X