11-27-09 refuge/ robinson bayou

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 11-27-09 refuge/ robinson bayou

Got to the Refuge at 11 AM, Friday , slick as glass in the morning , and SSE to 6 MPH in the afternoon. Beach water was 68 degrees, partly cloudy, and about one foot green visibility. There were a few waders there and a convoy of white geese. The tide was bottoming out and I wanted to fish there in the afternoon on the incoming. Tried my luck fishing the area without a strike. Not much bait noted.
    Attached Files
    GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Continued

Headed West to Robinson Bayou, only been there once for good reason, it's about a 4 mile paddle. I'm more passionate about fishing than reasonable. Thankfully the wind was light or it really would have been tough. Fished the mouth of Robinson with no luck. Several boaters there . Went up the bayou where these guys were about to leave. They said they had been catching reds and to go under the bridge.
    Attached Files
    GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Continued

So, under the bridge I went. I had to lie down in the yak with my stomach barely clearing the boards. That last part was a joke, barely. I fished my why to the weir and the outgoing tide made an enticing large eddie there which I fished. Managed a too small trout on a spoon.
      Attached Files

Comment

Continued

I hooked up this big ugly at about 22 " and released it. Headed back to the bridge.
        Attached Files

Comment

Continued

Fished the area and located the reds I had been looking for and bypassed coming in. First cast and hooked up a red , played it out and boated it. Second cast the same thing.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by plugger; November 29, 2009, 03:40 PM. Reason: Story line.

Comment

Continued

Third cast and a rat red. Forth cast another keeper red.
            Attached Files

Comment

Continued

My work here was done. Exhaled and went back under the bridge. Made my way back towards the Refuge. They had some burnoffs going as I went up the shoreline.
              Attached Files

Comment

Continued

Talked to these guys in the boat , both of us asking how you been doing. I told them about the reds and they scooted out that way with a thanks. They asked where I came from and one said I " must be a triathelete or something ". Yeah, right. I told them no, just an old fat guy with a passion to fish. Saw some gulls on the water and fished there without a strike. Went past the boat launch.
                Attached Files

Comment

Continued

One of the neat things about the Refuge in the fall are the flocks of geese as it is a migaratory flyway. You are fishing and then hear their honking and look up to see sometimes huge V shaped formations of these beautiful birds. If you look hard you can see them in each of the first 3 photos. The third one, they are right in the middle of the picture.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Very nice Plugger! Great pics and report!
                    sigpic
                    Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

END

When I arrived back, I had about 2 hours of light left. There were about 6 waders working at it. I did not have a strike and at dark, loading up and talking to 3 of them, they had a few small keeper trout to 19 ". My reds were 26" at 7 #, 22 1/2 " at 5#, and 24 1/2 " at 5 1/2 #. That short one was FAT ! Another great day one the water and I caught some fish. I thank GOD each time I go for the privelege.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Good report and a great day of catching Doc!
                        I work just enough to pay for my fishing habit.

Comment

I felt like I was there with you. Great descriptions and photos! Since I didn't get to hit the water, your story was very pleasing to read. Thanks.
                          If we don't leave any, there won't be any.

Comment

Thanks for the report and pics!
                            Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Please stop this madness. The pictures are way too much.

Comment

Working...
                              X