468x80 Banner

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Updating my tackle box after being away a very long time.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updating my tackle box after being away a very long time.

I'm a new member here and essentially an almost new fisherman returning to the water. Thankfully I put my tackle away in good shape so my Shimano 200s are working great in the pond behind the house. I am hoping to get some direction on what I should stock the box with.

I will be fishing primarily West Bay, mostly from a PB with some wading. I'm good on what to get for the surf and near shore but need help on the bay lures. I have some Mirrorlures and spoons from back in the day but that's about it. I've read a good bit on this site and everyone has their favorite so I guess what I'm asking for help with is starting with today's basics and must haves and building from there.

Thanks in advance for letting me benefit from your experience and hard work.

Tight lines and calm waters.

Have Curmudgeon do your shopping for you.

In addition to the hard lures, which sounds like you may have already, I regularly use plastics, Bass Assassins (chicken on a chain) and anything chartreuse.
    At his baptism, Sam Houston was told his sins were washed away. He reportedly replied, “I pity the fish downstream.” - Nov. 19, 1854 - Independence, Texas

Comment

Tops:

Super spook
      Super spook Jr. (I like white/ chartreuse)
      She-dog

Soft Plastics
      Bass Assassins (Plumtreuse)
      TTF TKII (Plumtreuse)
      TTF Hackberry (Morning Glory)

Corkies
      Fat Boys
      Softdine
      Softdine XL

Plano Hydroflow box, attach shoulder strap and you have a nifty wade box.

You're good to go!
      Resident Ninja

Comment

Opening night Assassins and paddle tails are working good right now for me in West Bay.

Comment

1/8TH oz JIG HEADS
          1/16TH oz JIG HEADS
          1/2 OZ GOLD SPOON
          Some Popping Corks
          A few double drop leaders,
          Anything morning glory colored!
          "Our most great and glorious achievement is to live our life fishingly"

Comment

For topwaters, I like Super Spooks and jrs in bone, black and blue & chrome as well as a few hunchbacks in similar colors. Gotta have a couple Skitterwalks: pearl & chart, trout pattern and pink.

Gotta have a few Corky fatboys and broke-backs: chartreuse, pearl & chart, pink.

I've been playing with the softdines, but I have a lot more luck with the mirrodines in the surf.

I keep a couple Buggs lures in the box: one light and one dark.
            I always have Knotty Hooker jig heads and a boat load of soft plastics I rarely use but feel naked without.

I don't carry them unless I'll be working lights, but a good tandem jig can be worth it's weight in gold.
            "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Many thanks to all. Keep 'em coming. I'm going shopping this weekend. Is there a sponsor of this board or a member here that should get the business instead of one of the big stores?

Comment

Baad Marine is scary good. I also blow plenty of money at Serious Tackle in La Marque.

Comment

Went to baad marine today for the first time pretty cool store. Also check out chicken boys there my go to soft plastics for all three targeted fish.

Comment

Baad is a great store. It's where I go to get all the stuff I can't find at the big box stores. They've got tons of other goodies, especially the knotty hooker jog heads.

Comment

Hogie's eel diablos electric blue /chartreuse 1/16th or 1/8th ounce lead head. That's all you need period! It is worse that red tide trust me on this one.
                      We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

If you plan on fishing west bay, 2 words: LIVE BAIT! Lol!
                        Stay Bowed Up!

Comment

Went to Baad yesterday and stocked up. Great folks there. Thanks for the steer. Not if the weather will mesh with my work schedule I can get some of it wet.

Comment

Working...
                          X