My Rig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Rig

I bought an Ocean motorized 13-4 Kayak two years ago. I bought a boat trailer from Harbor Freight and converted it to hold my Kayak. It has a MinnKota saltwater trolling motor that pushes it about 5MPH. Two or three in a headwind. I've made it more user friendly by relocating some things and converting others. Honestly, I got tired of falling out three times when I leaned back to pull the rudder up or down, or reaching for my fishing rods. I haven't come close to falling out since. It weighs 70 pounds without the battery. Anyway here's some pictures of it. I can't wait to get back in it if these winds ever lay down.
    Attached Files
    Keith Bodine 1st Cav 1966-1967
    RVN A/229th AHB/Door Gunner
    sigpic

Nice ride indeed sir

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Comment

Thank you Sir.
      sigpic

Comment

Sweet ! How / where do you deploy the trolling motor with the rudder present ? An anchor pulley rig is what you need if you don't have one . Thanks for sharing !
        GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Nice rig. Thought about putting a trolling motor on my yak but decided to save up and get a hobie PA. You on TKF?
          Mirrolure Pro Staff

Comment

Originally posted by walkinwader View Post
            Nice ride indeed sir

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
            Thanks much. I really enjoy it, when I get to go. The weather sucks here for kayak fishing 🎣.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by plugger View Post
              Sweet ! How / where do you deploy the trolling motor with the rudder present ? An anchor pulley rig is what you need if you don't have one . Thanks for sharing !

The kayak has a built in troll motor slot so I can take it out or leave it in. I have a molded piece to put in the yak when the motor isn't in, but I neve use it. The motor floats too, so I can set it in the water while I'm removing the bungees where it goes. I set it in. Tie it down, and plug it in. It has a weedless prop. The prop sits about 8-10" in the water. Here's a picture with it sitting on the tiedown bungee cords. Ocean was supposed to come out with a new yak with the motor in front of the seat, but never did. So, I suppose I got the only troll motor yak they made.
              For some reason, the rudder looks twice the size it is.

Click image for larger version

Name:	kayak 04.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	562678 Click image for larger version

Name:	kayak 05.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	562679
              Last edited by hacksaw; May 21, 2017, 03:40 PM. Reason: Explain rudder size, added better picture
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X