A Few Pictures Of The Garden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Few Pictures Of The Garden

Took a pictures of the garden and cut my first cucumbers of the 2015 season.
    Attached Files
    "It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top."

Nice!! Is that eggplant or some kind of pear shaped tomato ? And okra ready also?
    Man, those cukes look delicious.
    I love them in milk, little mayo,vinegar and Vidalia onions and plenty of black pepper.

your garden looks wonderful in spite of all the rain we have had.
    "Nobody's so poor that somebody can't get rich screwing 'em."

Comment

Thank you sir. Those are big Roma tomatoes. It's been hard this year for sure, if not for the rain washing away my furrows and exposing my roots to the record snail population this year, and the extra water saturation. The water saturation has affected my cucumber plants(some pepper plants too) with this last bout with the weather. It's the way the my property slopes doesn't drain well when we have rain of biblical proportions. I will share the recipe with my mom sounds delicious. She is the reason I grow vegetables, to get that fresh home cooking. Thanks again.
      "It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top."

Comment

Props to you, man. Wish I had a green thumb.

Comment

Thanks H., my old man was the green thumb taught what I know and I don't think I even scratched the surface.

Comment

Looking good ! It's rewarding to grow food .
            GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Looking good! I've got a few tomatoes,peppers, okra and some cukes left. Most of mine is on the tail end at this point though. Here's today's harvest..
              Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Nice looking produce ya'll.

I have been busy trying to get all my fruit trees into the ground in my new property. Will try to get a Fall/Winter garden in but going to have to wait another year for all the warm weather crops.

Comment

Thanks guys. Good looking haul of vegetables ibtsoom. I heirloom all my vegetables, last major frost was in late February so I got a late start this year. So I will be producing well into October maybe November. A little nitrogen rich fertilizer(10-10-10 is good or even epson salt(1/4tspn) to the base of your cucumber plants will spruce up the size and color of the vegetable.

Comment

Man, those tomatos would be mighty fine in a tomato cracker mayo salad Ibtsoom!!With a boiled okra side!
                    All with a slice of Vidalia onion!!
                    Are those Juliette tomatos ?

Wonderful summer harvest you guys!!

Comment

Mostly celebrity tomatoes this year Mike. Had to back off the heirlooms for a while. After years of growing varieties with no disease resistance I started to have systemic problems and critter problems. I'll sparse them back in slowly though. They taste much better to me. Speaking of that.. That salad sounds good. I need a recipe!
                      Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Picked these two hoss's today.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150707_122949.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	562101

Comment

Originally posted by Ibtsoom View Post
                          Mostly celebrity tomatoes this year Mike. Had to back off the heirlooms for a while. After years of growing varieties with no disease resistance I started to have systemic problems and critter problems. I'll sparse them back in slowly though. They taste much better to me. Speaking of that.. That salad sounds good. I need a recipe!
                          I have always grown Marglobe and sometimes Brandywines. I like the Celebrity but now my favorite small cherry mater is the Juliette.

I guess you mean the Tomato/Cracker or the cukes and milk ?

Cukes and milk, just slice some nice cukes without hide, several rings of Vidalia or sweetest onion you can get, about 2 T of white vinegar, salt , lots of blk pepper, and then enough sweet milk(4%) to lightly cover each slice. do everything at room temp and the flavors mingle and get drastic!!

The Cracker/Tomato Salad my grandma and moma used to make also.

About 2 cups of diced fresh tomatos, drained real good or as much juice out before they get too dry, about 1/3 cup of good mayo, lots of blk pepper, tad of salt. Serve as soon as you get it mixed.

Best Fried Okra Recipe for good measure if you like fried Okra.

Pick no Okra over 3" and then slice length wise leaving the stem on for a nice handle. Throw those curvy pieces into some Shrimp Creole.
                          Coat these in and get em coated real good in AP flour. paper lunch bag or grocery bag works good for tossing.
                          Beat some egg and buttermilk and pour is a tall cocktail glass or iced tea glass.
                          Mash hell out of a sleeve of saltines until consistency of coarse corn meal.
                          Get oil or lard up hot like frying fish. Lard is better of course but the liberals always raise hell about health.
                          Grab an Okra handle and dip it in BM/Egg mixture and immediately coat with the Saltine crumbs.
                          Fry up good and crisp and have lots of Ketchup ready.

Way to windy for fish so I'm here picking Turkey Figs and dehydrating them. And agitating the ol conservatives. Got jam from last year but wife has a recipe for homemade fig Newtons and gotta use dried figs instead of fresh.

I remember the ol Fig Plant in Friendswood and Alvin. Used to pick figs for 2.00 a bushel in Alvin . Good money in the day.
                          Wasp bites were free. And we all used to eat them till it made us sick.

Comment

Thanks for the recipes!!
                            Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Originally posted by mgstei1 View Post
                              Man, those tomatos would be mighty fine in a tomato cracker mayo salad Ibtsoom!!With a boiled okra side!
                              All with a slice of Vidalia onion!!
                              Are those Juliette tomatos ?

Wonderful summer harvest you guys!!
                              The the fried okra and tomato salad sound great will do for sure. But never had boiled okra. How do you prepare it sir, if you don't mind. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X