first cukes of the year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first cukes of the year

My first cucumbers off my plants. Had four more but the neighbor always seems to be out when I'm gardening and gave him half of them. I've never grown this small freckled strain before(three smaller ones), called smr-58 and had me worried I had some deficiencies issues because of the incredible snail and slug population this year. But just realized that's the way the cuke looks, lol. It's been extra hard just like last year with all this rain. The hail storm that fell with the floods Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160528_092254.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	576848 last time took out a lot of my tomatoes and peppers. Thanks for looking.
    "It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top."

The small ones look like good pickling cukes!
    "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

They look good, bro! Man, I love cucumbers but they don't like me. Just pizzes me off.

Comment

Thanks fellas and your right, they are pickling cukes. Had to pull out the info and their pic when I first thought them to be sick. When I ordered them from the catalog, I got a bundle pack of 5 different cukes and I guess I didn't realize there was a small canning strain in there.
        "It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top."

Comment

In rainy years like this one. The snails can be brutal to your crops.
          After the loss of a few nice tomatoes, I declared war and put out the snail bait.
          That was early May, and no more snails.
          Today I had to pull the tomatoes that were turning color and sprayed them
          with Liquid Seven to wipe out the stink bugs. Seems like they invade every year
          when the air temperature reaches the upper 80s.

Comment

They look great ! I tried raising cucumbers for the first time and have harvested one with another on the vine.
            Attached Files
            GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Good looking cucumber plant plugger. I have been having similar problems this year too root canal. Those stink bug were a real problem with my tomatoes last year right along with the aphids that came from my peach trees. I have nine tomatoes that survived with the okra plants and the rest are cukes and beans. Just waiting on the beans to finish up so I can dry the beans for next year because I couldn't use them as green beans because of the slugs. I did plant plenty of cukes this year because I canned to can some pickles with some peppers. I will post a few pictures of what I call the wall-o-cukes when the are full of fruit.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160531_081829.jpg
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	562460Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160531_081829.jpg
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	562460Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160531_081821.jpg
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	562461Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160531_081803.jpg
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	562462

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160531_081811.jpg
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	562463

Comment

This cucumber is a little over a foot long ! I could use it as a weapon . I think I'll keep it on the night stand next to me for security ..
                    GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

... And my bell pepper plant survived the mild winter .
                      Attached Files

Comment

That is a monster cucumber. I love when a few plants stay alive and already are giving you fruit like your bell pepper plants, they give their best peppers on their second and third year around. I heard that they can last up to seven years if you have them in pots and you can put them inside when it freezes. Great looking plants for sure. I have a few pepper plants that survived the flood and will post a few pics when the sun is out.

Comment

I harvested the cucumber and had some in a salad .
                          Attached Files

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Working...
                            X