Fish in the lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fish in the lights

Just wanted to report that we had solid fishing in the canal lights at Sea Isle over the past Easter weekend. This was the first trip for me in over a month so I dont know how long they have been there.

Question, it seems like everytime we catch a fish we spook them and it takes 30 minutes to an hour for them to come back. Any suggestions on how to keep them in the area after you catch one??

Fish in the lights

I've always fished the edges of lights and that seems to spook them less, but I've only fished with above water lights. I think the i underwater lights are different.
    "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

I've had fish in my lights at Jamaica Beach for a couple weeks now. I've thrown everything in my box at them and can't get em to bite. Wish I had your problem. Ha!

Comment

It depends on the fish. Sometimes they are super spooky, and sometimes you could probably throw a rock in the middle of the light and they wouldn't care. My tips would be:

1. Throw to the outer edges like Bruce said.
        2. When you hook up, crank down on the fish and lead them away from the light so they don't disrupt the school.
        3. Burn your bait through the light and slow down outside of it. Especially with glow baits, fish will follow bait out and attack it in the darkness.

In the event that the fish disperse:

1. Move around to other lights and fish those. Usually you can make a circuit and eventually come back.
        2. If that is not possible, drink a beer.
        3. If they haven't come back yet, drink another beer.
        4. Start doing a fish dance and drink fish.
        5. Jump into beer and throw light at fish.
        6. Repeat unless arrested for drunk and disorderly conduct.

This one was caught in the lights a couple of years ago.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	20130501_004555.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	561739
        Resident Ninja

Comment

Got it. I have overhead lights which I perfer over green lights and we try to fish the outside of the lights but bringing them to the surface always is disruptive when fishion from the second story deck. What I need to do is get gorund level and lead them to the darkness and keep them underwater until I yank them out.

Free lining shrimp was the ticket last weekend.

Comment

Try small tandem jigs: deadly in the lights!
            "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

I fish the lights a lot & have one at my house & watched the fish & have figured out pretty much anytime you hook up your goin to spook the fish but have also learned to let them take it & let them swim outside the light before cranking down on them! They're still goin to take off little but will come back quicker! Good luck bud
              Stay Bowed Up!

Comment

I have underwater lights in Jamaica Beach and the fish and bait started showing up the weekend before Easter. Every fish caught usually disrupts them for 15 to 20 minutes, I agree with the "drink a Beer" theory. The best bait is free lined live shrimp, (4 keeper trout last Saturday night) second: free line live finger mullet (deadly on reds at the edge of the light), best results for artificial has been small Glow tandem jigs, or a 4" Yum Dinger bass lure (watermelon/Chart tail) with just the single worm hook for a natural free falling presentation. The only problem with live bait is when the hardheads show up!

Comment

Originally posted by Curmudgeon View Post
                  I've always fished the edges of lights and that seems to spook them less, but I've only fished with above water lights. I think the i underwater lights are different.
                  Correct
                  Mirrolure Pro Staff

Comment

I've had good luck with the Mr Twister 3" shad. Usually in a pearl white but glow or clear/metal flake work too.

Comment

Hey I like your advice! I can't wait until I throw my lights at the fish. I'm a quick study. now I know I have to hit them on the head with the lights, knocking them out cold. Then I just grab the fish with my hands and throw it in the cooler. Best of all, when you knock'em out cold, the fish does not even flip flop in the cooler. That way, they cannot signal their friends.

Comment

I agree with 52m-28 with the worm hook and no weight. I've used glow shad and Zoom super fluke. I put my rod parallel to the water and twitch, reel one, twitch, continue. Never had them scatter. Very true the bigger ones hang outside the light. Hope this helps. Lord Bless.
                        robert
                        And all things, whatsoever you shall ask in prayer, BELIEVING, YE shall receive. Mathew 21:22.

Comment

yes, they spook and bounce to another light.. its best to have more than one light so you can catch from one... grab a beer and move over to the net to catch some more!!!
                          Brooke
                          Underwater Green Fishing Lights Sales Lady!!
                          7137245114, if interested in lights!

Comment

When lights are placed under the water, they reflect off particles in the water. These tiny little particles enhance a natural food source for bait fish.

Comment

Working...
                            X