468x80 Banner

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine Overheat Alarm Advice Needed !!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Overheat Alarm Advice Needed !!!!!!

Whats going on everyone!!!

Well I need some advice on an overheat alarm I got on Sunday 2/24. I put in at Tiki Island and was headed to Greens Lake and the wind really wasn't blowing until I got to the ICW and was headed towards North Deer Island. Before I even got there, the waves were white caps and getting worse. The wind was pushing me out of the channel as I turned around to head back to the dock and I ran up on a sand bar (sand & shell). I tried a few times to motor off with no luck then shut the motor off and got out and pushed. I was finally able to get the boat off the bar and moving again but then the overheat alarm went off. I immediately dropped the power pole and turned the engine off. I sat for a few minutes and cleaned out the intake vents which clearly had some small shell pieces in and were clogged. Once I did that, the engine started right up and we made back to the dock with no problems and the temperature gauge not moving from the normal position. After I pulled the boat out of the water, I thoroughly flushed the engine and cleaned the intake vents really well.

My concern is that I may have sucked some of the shell and sand further into my motor than I realize and even though it ran fine back to the dock it is still very concerning to me. I just purchased this boat (2013 Skeeter SX240 with Yamaha F300XCA. Both boat and motor only have 200 hours) so I want to make sure I doing the right thing if I need to have the engine ran through by a trusted mechanic.

Any advice or questions are greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

I think you're okay. When was the last time you changed the water pump or impeller?
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

I personally have not changed either since I bought the boat, 2 months ago. I don’t think they have been changed considering there was only 200 hours on the motor. However, I will ask the question to the owner and find out for sure.

Comment

I think you’re probably fine too. At the very least, take it out and run it for another trip and see if you get any further overheat alarms before you service it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
        Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

I agree. You are probably okay. Did you happen to notice the psi you reading on your water gauge while running?

Comment

Change the water pump-if you don't know when it was last changed, it needs changing-you should change it every year IMO.
            "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Working...
            X