Goose Island SP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goose Island SP

Took a 3 day trip down to Goose Island State Park for some R&R and line wetting. Windy, murky and choppy. The water had a gray, wet concrete color to it with about 3" visability. I wanted to wade off from the pier but the wind and chop kept me from it. Numerious specs to be had from the pier at night under the lights, striking on MirrorLure black on silver plug and silver/chartruse TTF killer flats minnows. Ppl around me were pulling in hardheads one after another on live shrinp while me and another had constant spec strikes on plastic. Landed a 21" spec plus kept two 16" over two nights. Good time had by all even with the strong, relentless wind. The pier is nice but the wooded camp grounds are lacking.

Nice pier action.thanks for the report
    Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

Great Report!
      Resident Ninja

Comment

Thanks for the report on the fishing and the sp, we are going to be hitting as many sp as we can this year and the fam wanted to visit that one.
        fish caller

Comment

First time there for me and I found the night pier fishing great, everyone we came across very nice but the camping was so-so. The water front camp sites were too close together, lacking any type of privatecy, similar to Mustang Island SP. Half are currently being replaced and the other half close to the pier will be demolished and replaced sometime this year. the wooded area water/elec sites are small and lacking any form of wildlife. No coon's, squirrels, birds, nothing. There was an area in the center that was more open but was full at the time we arrived. I have been to better places and also alot worse. There was a bait shack at the boat ramp so thats a plus. I give the camp a C+ and the pier an A+. The pier was well lit and has spot lights at the cut.

We went there because the wife wanted to go to Rockport and Port A so I picked a spot where she can shop the days and I can fish the mornings and nights. Worked out great. Spent one day on Mustang Island and North Padre beachs as well. They were both covered with sea weed but the sand and water was great. I never can get over how clean the water is down there.

If anyone knows of another camp location in the area offering RV sites and good fishing let me know. I need to take my son down there next month when he comes home from school and I'll be going back to Goose Is unless I locate something better.

Comment

If you want something in your back yard, Lutes Marine on chocolate bayou has a new RV set up. They even have a small pier for RV guest only with a fishig light. AND it's within minutes of you
            FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN

Comment

LOL
              That's where I put the boat in. I was looking for something different

Thanx

Comment

After thinking on this, I blew ~$250 on gas towing the camper down there so if anyone knows of a nice hotel or a resort that offers fishing let me know. I could blow that $250 on room rather than fuel.

Comment

the park is a little small but a good time if you have never been.
                  the fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad.

Comment

I have been to Goose Island several times, the last time was Halloween, we limited on trout and reds in about 2 hours as a cold front approached. Go into Rockport and get you a rental house on a canal, you ought to be able to find some good deals, they have a website but the name escapes me. rs

Comment

I'll look into that. Thnx
                      Would the canal fishing be strong with keeper specs next month?

Comment

Originally posted by Skiffrunner View Post
                        I'll look into that. Thnx
                        Would the canal fishing be strong with keeper specs next month?
                        Yes, put the lights on right about dusk and give them about 2 hours, then go fill your ice chest. Fish the perimeter of the lights and you should do fine, plus all the big shadows you will see, try rockportrentals.com---strikes a chord. Good luck and let us know, I might go try my luck next Saturday night Sunday morning at Goose Island, might even take my lights. rs

Comment

I'll keep U posted
                          thanx

Comment

Working...
                          X