Howdy All

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Howdy All

Not a graduate of TAMU but Maroon in my blood. I work for the TAMU System as a Engineering Inspector covering the Northern part of the State, Texarkana to Canyon.
    Sixty three years young and I can see a saltwater kayak fishing retirement on the horizon.
    A newbie to kayaking but a salty all of my life (well as much as I can be, being 100+ miles from the coast) . The good ole days fishing the Bolivar area, flounder gigging with Coleman lanterns and tin foil on the back side, camping on the beaches in the back of a station wagon, not seeing all of the trash on the beach, as a child being able to find sand dollar shells day or night without parents having to worry about us wandering the sand are things I miss.
    Ocean Kayak Prowler 13
    ABU 6000, 5500C, Black Max, and a couple of H2O setups, Forest River Sabre RV fiver.
    Looking forward to learn from you all here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Land or Sea, Blessed by Thee.

Welcome aboard! I think you'll like it here!
    "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Welcome.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Comment

WELCOME !
          I’m happy for you in that you see retirement on the horizon and more salt fishing as a result . How long have you been kayaking ?
          GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

This is my first year, I have had knee replacement and am hoping that the yak will allow an alternative to wading the shallows.
            I’ve had it out around ROP, Bolivar and I’m in Kemah now.
            Enjoying the salt again.

Comment

Welcome aboard! Got lots of that maroon blood myself. Spent many nights at Bolivar pocket with a lantern also, back in late 70's early 80's. Congrats on the pending retirement.

Comment

Thanks, yes the good ole days, when we didn’t know any better!

Comment

welcome aboard!

Comment

RToler just had a knee replacement and I had a partial knee replacement 10 weeks ago . I haven’t been able to walk this well in a long time . Are you not able to walk a lot even after the surgery ? A kayak is a fine fishing platform . There’s a kayak group here .
                    GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Oh yes I walk so much better without the pain. My issue is after the rehabilitation I still don’t have the flexibility I thought I would.
                      Getting in and out of the yak is not pretty but I make it.
                      Looking forward to learning from you all and catching some flatties.

Comment

I haven’t tried getting in and out of a kayak yet . The last time I did was in April before the surgery and it was painful and I looked like a harpooned walrus writhing and flopping around in the mud . I bent the rudder blade while it was spiked in the mud and I was pushing on the tipped hull trying to stand .
                        I like flounder fishing and durring this crippled hiatus from fishing , I rigged a skirt on my founder jig and started a thread about it . Look it up in the fishing lures forum .
                        Attached Files

Comment

Yeah I guess fishing alone sometimes has its advantages, I’m glad no one was filming.
                          I had seen that post, and made some notes.
                          I hope you went through all the therapy for recovery with your knee. How long do you recon before your next kayak trip?
                          I have a diabetic healing system, which took me forever to heal up and get back to being comfortable stressing the incision.

Comment

Oh , having diabetes does slow your healing . I think I can fish now if I have the opportunity .

Comment

I'm a little late but welcome.
                              "It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top."

Comment

Working...
                              X