Birthday Present

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birthday Present

My folks gifted me a fishing trip with a guide. I, and 3 buddies of mine, left Thompson's Bait Camp around 6:30 Saturday morning. We were in the Trinity Bay area, and the first spot we hit produced. We were hitting specks left and right. Must have been a pretty big school. Between the 4 of us, we probably brought about 20 to the boat. Problem was, only one was a keeper. Just about ever speck was 14"-15". Crazy, so we move on.

At the 2nd spot, we pulled in a couple drum. That ain't what we're fishing for, so we decide to move on. One of the guys says, "Hold on, I just baited this hook. Let me make one cast." Turned out to be a good idea. He casts, makes one pop, and BAM! Something is running. We get it back to the boat. It's about a 24" smack. Awesome, a 2nd keeper. After some pats on the back I turn to the captain and say, "Hey man, Daddy needs to eat. Let's go get dinner."

Arriving at the 3rd spot, we see plenty of boats and straight rods. Hopes are not high. We begin our drift, and nothing happened for about 10 minutes, then I have one on. Now, at this point, I have brought a grand total of 2 fish to the boat. Neither was a keeper. My buds had been ragging on me. Are birthday fishing trips bad luck? Apparently not. I get the speck in the boat, and it's nice. Goes about 22" and is fat. Things are looking up. As the captain is putting my fish on ice, the guy that caught the smack lands one. Within 30 seconds, another buddy hooks up. Hell ya, dinner is served. After 3 drifts through this spot, we have 17 keepers, all specks and the previously caught smack. So the bite dies off, captain says we're going to make a bit of a run and try one more spot.

We fish the 4th spot for about 45 minutes and have nothing but 1 more 20" speck to show for it. It was caught on the first cast. Wind has died, it's getting warm, so we decide to call it a day.

All in all, it was a great day. Nothing beats drinking beer, catching a few fish, and having a good time with great friends. We only took a couple pics. We aren't real photobugs or anything. This is the smack, and my speck was the biggest of the day. All fish were caught with shrimp on popping cork.

Click image for larger version

Name:	257.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	574744
    What Would Hans Wagemueller Do?

Nice fish but a better day out!! Anytime you can hit the water its good. Nice BD gift for sure!
    "Nobody's so poor that somebody can't get rich screwing 'em."

Comment

Great Bday gift and report. Congrats.
      LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

sweet!
        the fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad.

Comment

Sounds like you had a good B-day present. Tides are running high and fish are probably scattered out.

Comment

Working...
          X