Surfside This Weekend - Any Advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surfside This Weekend - Any Advice?

Some friends and I are headed to surfside for the weekend and are planning to do some surf fishing. Had some success a few weeks ago in the Destin area on artificial throwing a silver spoon and using sand fleas for Pompano. Caught really nice bull red on a silver spoon in Destin. Neither of us have any experience on the Texas coast. From what I can gather our best shot is fresh shrimp for trout in the first and second troughs. Anyone have any luck with Bull Reds down here lately? Water conditions are obviously a lot different here in Texas than in Destin... Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

For the Bull Reds or Black Drum, I usually grab 6-12 blue crab from the bait camp (live better). Place on ice to put them to sleep. I usually take the top shell off cut in half and put the hook through the back swim flipper & joint. Throw it out there with a spider weight and just wait for a bite. By cutting the bait in half and taking top shell off you're doubling your bait supply.

Shrimp under a popping cork is a good option too. That will lead to a lot of speckled trout, sand trout, lady fish, spanish mackerel etc. If you start getting cut off the spanish mackerel are getting to your leader and you need to use a tieable wire leader. You can find them at Academy or any fishing tackle retailer. I always keep some in my surf bag, never know when they'll show up.

You can certainly do well on artificial baits like the spoons or soft plastics with jig head. I always consider the first sand bar like ankle deep. The second is probably waist deep. I typically stand on second and throw to the third. If you are surf fishing for bull reds you may want to toss over the 3rd bar to get the bait out of the wave zone.

Good luck.
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Really appreciate the advice. Surf was pretty rough this weekend, so not much luck but we had a great time.

Comment

Working...
      X