Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• East Bay Restoration

Good Afternoon to All,
    My first post here. Some might remember me from 2cool.
    I might have already responded to a few of you here in regards to East Bay.
    I have noticed on the Reel Report that the article has been posted by Joe Kent. I sent him a notice to ask if he could put something in the Sunday paper which he did.
    Below is a more info on my efforts to get a jump start on the cleaning of East Bay. I hope I can count on a few of my fellow anglers to assist me in the "little" project. I actually have been getting a couple of phone calls from some people associated with the CCA who are anxious to help with getting started. As I get more info, I will relay it to all of you so that I can keep everyone interested in helping up to speed with this project.
    Thanks and looking forward to hearing from as many as possible.
    Kyle Cunningham

Project: East Bay Restoration
    When: TBA
    To: All interested

I am in the process of starting a clean up effort on East Bay. This is not something we will be able to do in a short period of time, but I feel after a few months of dedicated individuals like ourselves we can at least make a difference.
    My goal is to dedicate one weekend a month and travel East Bay pick up or tow debris that poses a serious threat to all boaters alike. My line of thinking is if we can pick it out of the water and put it in the boat, then we can dispose of it. If it is an item that is too big to pick up and is floating, then we can tow it to a designated location.
    Needless to say, if there is an item to big to tow, then we will mark it with PVC pipe, which has been generously donated, and / or we can enter its locations via GPS. Once a month, we will take those locations and post for all to see and enter for their own personal safety.
    In the next few weeks, I will be trying to secure a “drop zone” for us to deliver debris to for proper disposal. I am trying to see if I can secure the area of Stingaree Marina as the drop zone. If so, I will be looking for volunteers to be staged there to assist boaters bringing in debris, off load their boats, & load up in trucks.
    As far as large floating debris, I am going to check and see if we can secure one of the shorelines of the small islands just North of the ICW for a drop zone. If so, we will have volunteers there to assist boaters bringing in debris. My line of thinking is we deliver the bigger items that we can tow to the shoreline where we will drive stakes into the ground and tie off the debris so it’s not to float off on a high tide. At some point I will look be looking to have the debris removed by professionals and disposed of properly.
    Some items I am looking for as donations are, rope to tie off debris, some metal stakes & garbage bags.
    If you are interested donating items or volunteer in any aspect of this operation, please contact me @ kyllawaygolf@yahoo.com. I will be looking at possibly setting up some kind of meeting to discuss and answer any and all questions or concerns. The date will be decided in the near future. There will be BBQ sandwiches and chips donated at the end of Saturday. Again, this is not something that we are going to accomplish quickly. It will take sometime but I feel that over a period of time, we can collectively make a difference. We’re not trying to change the World, just East Bay.
    I hope I can count on everyone to assist me with this.

Thank You All,
    Kyle Cunningham
    Last edited by KylesKenner2; February 9, 2009, 12:16 PM.

Welcome Kyle. Getting East bay clean will be a long and major undertaking. I read on another site where the state is setting aside $39 million for the mapping and removal of the major debris on the east end of the Galveston bay system. They're shooting for a June 1st completion date. Sounds like a major step towards the clean up effort. West bay on the other hand, will be just a little more difficult due to the fact of how shallow it really is. All we can do is hope and try to mark it as we go.
    I work just enough to pay for my fishing habit.

Comment

You'll find a lot of guys on here willing to help.
      We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

I was told that by Coe Parker and I am depending on a strong turnout.
        Again, I am doing this in an effort to try to restore the bays one at a time. My efforts are focused on East Bay for now due to the severity of the situation.
        I have been setting this up for almost two weeks now and want to fire this thing up.
        The CCA is very interested in helping out and I have been in contact with a couple of its members.
        I am asking that anyone interested in helping shoot me an e-mail so I can keep everyone up to speed.

Comment

Kyle, this is Coe....

Comment

I work just enough to pay for my fishing habit.

Comment

Sorry Coe. It was busy today at work and not much time to read and comprahend.

Comment

I'm down to help coe(at)fishwestend.com sign me up when we get a date throw it up on the Calendar here on the page. Remember, we have a healthy East Bay group here too so your in good company. I fish upper Trinity mainly and usually around Stingaree, its just a haul from Pirates a good 45 min boat ride.

Comment

Good Morning Guys,
                  Thanks for helping out. I hope to set a date by the end of this week. When I do, I'll get it posted asap and post a sign up sheet. That way I can get a good count on the people for the BBQ getting donated.
                  Aslo, I think I will getthe PVC cut ot 12'. That should be long enough right?

Comment

Hopefully I will be able to help, but only having 2 weekends off a month it'll be a 50/50 chance. If it works out, count me in.
                    Appreciate your effort in this matter Kyle.
                    Don't be a Nancy!
                    If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

NO FlatoutFishin, I appreciate your efforts. I will let everyone know as soon as I lock down a date. Again, it's all going to depend on where I can secure a drop zone.
                      As I have mentioned, I am looking at Stingaree as the spot for picked up debris. If you know of or how I can get in touch with someone, please forward the info to me.
                      Thanks again Ladies & Gentlemen.

Comment

I won't be able to commit until I see the date. If I'm free from trips the weekend that it is scheduled I will definatly be in on this.

AQUA PIMP
                        AQUA PIMP......
                        "SALTWATER PIMP'N AIN'T EZ"

WWW.SALTWATERASSAULT.NET

Comment

Thank you pimp

Comment

Like most guys here, I would love to help but it is depending on the date and my work schedule (I work 14 days on/14 off, so I also have a 50/50 chance). If Im not working, I'd be happy to help out.

M.M.
                            "For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor that the protected will never know."

Semper Fi!

Comment

Thanks to you as well maniac.
                              I posted the following on 2cool as well.
                              Just wanted to post it here also. Every little bit will make a huge difference.

Good Morning To All,
                              Along with the BBQ and the PVC that has already been donated, I am still looking for other donations in order to make the initial clean up a success.
                              The following are a few items needed:
                              Metal Stakes - for anchoring debris
                              1/4" - 3/8" rope - for tying up debris
                              Garbage bags - trash in general
                              Drinks - Water, cokes, coolers, & ice
                              Floresent Ribbon - to mark PVC pipe
                              If there is anything else that I have missed, which I am sure there is, please post it here.
                              Thanks again.
                              PS - I am going to try to get a hold of someone in Galv. in regards to the drop zone.
                              Wish me luck.
                              I am thinking about having Wes, aka rat race on 2cool who is donating as much PVC as we need, to have all the PVC cut to 12' lengths. Any opinions on the length is appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                              X