468x80 Banner

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TroutSupport's Reef Recon for GARMIN (and Lowrance and Simrad)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TroutSupport's Reef Recon for GARMIN (and Lowrance and Simrad)

Hey guys, I've been hard at work over the last year reformatting reef recon so it will work on Garmin (first file worked only on Lowrance and Simrad).

What is it? you can see that here. Basically I figured out a way side scan all the reefs in the bay and put them on an overlay above your base cartography map. Let's be honest, while I know mapping companies are working on updating their mapping, the reefs move faster than that and there are many places all the basemaps are, well, dangerous, especially in west and chocolate and even in Christmas.

For anyone that lives and fishes West Bay, Jones, Chocolate, Christmas, it's invaluable and guys have already seen great results fishing reefs that they didn't know were there.

Lowrance and Simrad Map has individual polygons that draws a line around each reef.. you actually have the boundary of the reef GPS located from the most recent side scan of the bay. The Garmin map is essentially the same but with a connecting line between each reef (this is caused by the Garmin Firmware and how Garmin's work- all the same reef data and you can literally follow the lines to the next reef).

More information here https://troutsupport.com/reef-recon/

and also here (see what a side scanned reef looks like)

https://youtu.be/-9_wxmr00TE
    TroutSupport.comsigpic

How might this integrate with C-MAP genesis live if we have that capability on our Lowrance?

Comment

Very cool, Tobin!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

You do incredible work. I do not have a boat, if I ever get one I know to call u!!!
        Whatever it is,good or bad, God knows! Jeremiah 29:11

Comment

Sounds great Moe, holla any time.
          TroutSupport.comsigpic

Comment

This came in from one of my customers today actually. There can be a lot of error in the old base maps used in cartogrophy on the GPS units. But not with reef recon... The reef edges are super accurate. A recent customer of mine was thought he was having accuracy trouble and called me. I let him know about old map errors and how to really see the difference for the next time he went back out.. here's what he said.

From Chris (last name omitted for privacy)
            "Got back out there this weekend. You were absolutely correct. The nav points that came with my simrad were off but your reefs were accurate. (Before) I didn’t know what to look for when I was on them either; (Now) Once i got over the reef I saw the bottom change."
            TroutSupport.comsigpic

Comment

It's been cool to see how many guides and even there customers have gotten Reef Recon and are happy with it. A couple weeks ago a guy pulled up the cleaning table and asked where they caught the fish and 4 different guides recommended he get Reef Recon Should be a great winter in west bay and knowing where all the reefs are and arn't will certainly help catch more fish and keep anglers safe.

ya'll let me know if you have any questions about it.
              TroutSupport.comsigpic

Comment

Working...
              X