CC Shootout - Reel Estate Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CC Shootout - Reel Estate Report

Team Reel Estate for this tournament consisted of Coe (WestEndAngler), Roger (Tiny), Jamin (flapper) and Jonathan (fishinaddicted). We left Surfside Marina at 5AM on Friday and were met by smooth seas.

Our initial plan was to run out towards the East however a line of showers was a developing so we changed the game plan up and made a run for our secondary spot. We ran straight out to shelf and never once saw a discernable weed line or rip to troll, nor another boat until late Friday.

Before lunch on Friday we had made it out to the general area. However, each time we selected a final destination, now only 10 miles each away, the rain would pop up and overwhelm the selected area. We worked hard Friday bouncing around the storms and we were rewarded with a little Wahoo near Hoover during. We were not able to get to the drill ship, each time we wanted to the rain and t-storms would pop up. The seas were starting to increase from the showers in the area so we decided it was best to organize for the evening.

Around 6PM we picked up our lines. We had a large T-Storm with heavy electricity in the area and we needed to quickly get on the other side of this now expanding to 30mile long system and from what we could see on radar, maybe a 1-2 mile wide cell. We ran North for 30 minutes and never was able to gain on the system. We saw a slight opening in the clouds and looking at the radar we opted to punch through it. Those 10-15 minutes was one of the most terrifying boat experiences I’ve been through while on the water. I’m glad the good Lord was listening to our prayers, that 1-2 mile wide cell actually turned into 10 miles. We finally emerged from the storm North of Boomvang with most everyone completely soaked and white-knuckled from the ordeal we just went through.

The storms moved out to the SW and Hoover and the Drill Ship were still getting pounded according the radar so we looped back to Boomvang to start the evening. It was a great thing we came back, the storm must have pushed all the other boats away because we had the place to ourselves for over 2 hours. YFT were chasing flying fish, some getting 3-5’ out of the water chasing bait. We grabbed the rods with poppers and immediately Jonathan had a YFT on and shortly later we had our first 30-35lb in the boat. We re-organized for 10 minutes then came back near the school, Roger made a great cast and a large YFT hit the popper and the fight was on. After about 10 minutes we had the fish near the boat and in gaff range, a large YFT that took two of us to get over the rail. We all knew it was a solid fish.

The secret was apparently out because after landing that fish we had a couple of boats show up then 20 minutes later there were another 6 boats. Jonathan hooked into another YFT, slipped and busted his ribs pretty good. He managed to get the fish close to the boat however she came unbuttoned before we had a gaff shot. The action was starting to now die out but occasionally we saw a few tuna chasing bait. We made a final drift and had a guy cut us off as we were casting towards the school. Despite us waiving, hailing on VHF he continued his course and completely oblivious to his surroundings, he ran over the school of YFT. The top water bite was over and with a large tuna in the box we decided to head back inshore to get some sleep.

We slow boated from Boomvang to W/E Cerveza where I was finally able to sleep for 3-4 hours. We woke at first light and put the trolling rods back out and were able to pick up a slightly larger Wahoo. Still looking for that 10lb Dorado...

We trolled from 6AM until 3 PM with a Wahoo, 3 knock downs / short strikes, 2 Kings, 1 Cuda and 1 Chicken Dorado that hit a lure the size of him! Roger had a good larger dorado break the line but I think it was under 10lbs. So, after all day trolling we were not able to pick up the 10lb Dorado. Knowing it would cost us 100 points, and running out of time we needed to head inshore. Our only hope was that everyone else struggled as much as us. We pulled the lines in around 3 PM and stored all the gear and made the run back to port. We cruised back through the chop at 28 MPH and were back inside the Jetty around 4:45.

We pulled up to the scales to see low numbers on the board and was reassured by some participants and the staff that no team had brought all 3 qualifying fish to the scales.

We off loaded the large YFT and two Wee-Hoo’s both were over 10lbs but one went 11.2 the other 10.8 I believe. The YFT was placed on the scale and she weighed 78.2 lbs, our total now 89.4# which put us in 1st place.

However, 45 minutes still remained and I noticed JoeS on the Salinity wasn’t back nor Bill Platt on Popatonic so it was still way too early to call.

We cleaned up the boat and gear and around 5:30 we were back at the scales watching the final boats come in. Somehow we managed to still be holding onto 1st. We had opted Thursday to not enter any of the side pots. We can’t be mad for not entering, but that YFT would have doubled our prize money. We were pumped to still be on the board and after 30 minutes of nail biting 6pm hit and the results were final.

(Photo below was after we weighed in)

I want to thank the crew mentioned above they were top notch also everyone from the marina staff and Pelagic who put the tournament on. This was our second year fishing and we will be back again next year.

Congratulations to all the teams that placed and all those that braved the conditions.

We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Way to go guys! That was one heck of a tuna!
    "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Awesome, guys!! That tuna is a hoss!
      Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Good job boys ! I have 1-2 months before I'm doc cleared to go off-shore ! We can hit it hard !
        Free advice for cold beer !

Comment

Nice Post Coe. Well written and detailed report.
          Sounds like you had a great crew and congrats on winning first place.
          Thank the Lord that you made it safely through the storm.

Comment

Sounds like one heck of a trip, congrat's.
            A Little deeper in debt.

Comment

Way to go fellas
              MANVEL MOB

Comment

Shoot yeh , a solid team !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

Congrats on a great trip and finish!

Sent from my iPhone

Comment

Congratulations fellows ! What fun and what an accomplishment . The picture is cool .
                    GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Congratulations guys, great report. Looks like it doesn't matter if you are at the Boomvang or Hannah's, idiots are everywhere.

Comment

CC Shootout - Reel Estate Report

https://vimeo.com/135218799
                        We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Congrats for the tournament. And kudos for the short story of the trip. Really enjoyed it. Always enter the side pots. You never know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That was a great read! Congrats on the solid finish!

- FP

Comment

Congrats guys...sounds like a great time out there!

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk
                              sigpic
                              Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Working...
                              X