New to Surf Fishing...Need Tips!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Surf Fishing...Need Tips!

Hey guys...just joined the forum a couple of weeks ago and have been reading through some of the threads. I just moved down to Galveston in January, the wife is attending nursing school at UTMB. I grew up and lived in North TX my entire life. So I'm familiar with crappie, bass, and catfishing. Me and my dad used to come down here and fish, but we always took a guide. Anyways...over the last month or so I've been trying to fish the surf. I got a decent surf rod and a penn bait cast reel. I live towards the west end so I've been going off of the beaches down here. I've been told to try out Sunny Beach, which I did and caught one drum, and I went out with my dad spring break weekend and was trying to find a non-busy spot. We ended up all the way down past Jamaica Beach at Beach Access 25 I think. I caught a good red fish that weekend...that's what got me hooked so I have been back to that spot several times with no such luck. I was just looking for some tips from people that have more experience at this than me...what kind of bait, hooks, rigs do you use?

What should I be fishing for right now? (Reds are what I'm really after, but after my last few trips with no fish...I wanna try for everything)

Also, does the tide and wind have as much to do with things as I'm thinking? Seems like a few times I can't keep enough weight on to keep my line from drifting.

Any tips would be appreciated!! Good luck to everybody out there!

Howdy and Welcome. The freshwater crowd usually get hooked on the reds. Actually, the specks have moved back into the surf so you can always try for them. I usually wait for those flat and green days from the chart on swellinfo.com (usually accurate). Use live shrimp on a popping cork, or go with some topwaters. That's the only time I go to the surf. I'm sure other members can help you with the rest of the time when the surf is rolling and sandy.
    Resident Ninja

Comment

PM sent

Comment

it dont have to be clear or flat to catch them in the surf. i like live mullet when it gets rough or plastics and tops when its flat. mostly trout and spanish mackerel in the surf during the summer, reds in the fall and winter. anywhere along the west end can be good,theres no certain spot in the surf.
        the fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys.

I've been using live shrimp, I tried a few live mullet one time I went out. I kept losing them though, how do your recommend baiting them on your hook?

Any lures you guys recommend? I've heard gulp is a good brand, but haven't really ventured into the artificials so far...

Comment

Just follow Barham or Super Spook around and you will be fine.
            KEEP IT WET..

Comment

Originally posted by Gulfcoast13 View Post
              What he said! LOL!

Gulp are fine. You can use them with a popping cork just like shrimp and you're less likely to catch snot sharks. You can also put them on a jug head and bounce them off the bottom.
              The surf is wide open so you can pretty much catch them anywhere.
              "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

i like the cocahoe minnows,they are easy to use and work really good most of the time. 1/4 oz. jig head works the best in the surf,just cast it out and reel it back in at different speeds until you find what they want. they are cheap to so buy a few different colors.
                the fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad.

Comment

Trout in the surf is fun but you don't need "saltwater tackle" for that, or reds for that matter. I use a bass type rod and bait casting reel in the surf for trout. Yes the rod may say trout rod or shrimptail special rod but their all the same. A typical trout rod would be a medium weight rod in 6-1/2' or 7' coupled with a baitcaster with 12 lb test works great for poppin corks, leadheads and bottom fishing. When the trout are running in the surf it may be elbow to elbow down there, jump in and get some.

Comment

He's more interested in bull reds and sharks from the long rods. I agree though, hammering eater specks on top in the glassy surf as the sun comes up is a tough one to beat.

Comment

Is anyone going to try surf fishing this weekend?

Comment

I the bouy is reading 1.4 or lower go to the surf. If it is 1.6 thats pushing it and your gonna get wet. And if it is 1.o or lower take off work and get you some.
                        Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bobcat_Fisherman View Post
                          Is anyone going to try surf fishing this weekend?
                          If the conditions are right!
                          MANVEL MOB

Comment

Originally posted by Gulfcoast13 View Post
                            Originally posted by SUPER SPOOK View Post
                            i like the cocahoe minnows,they are easy to use and work really good most of the time. 1/4 oz. jig head works the best in the surf,just cast it out and reel it back in at different speeds until you find what they want. they are cheap to so buy a few different colors.
                            Originally posted by corndog View Post
                            I the bouy is reading 1.4 or lower go to the surf. If it is 1.6 thats pushing it and your gonna get wet. And if it is 1.o or lower take off work and get you some.
                            That's some good advice !
                            "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after" ~ Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Welcome to FWE.
                              Going to Bolivar this weekend finally. Wife just bought me a 12' Ugly Stik that I might
                              take with me. Not much for a big rod like that, as others have posted here, I prefer a
                              7-8' medium action for most fishing.
                              "Laissez les bons temps rouler"
                              "Leh-seh leh boh taw roo-leh"

Comment

Working...
                              X