468x80 Banner

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I get depressed a little this time of year.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I get depressed a little this time of year.

To frakin cold to go gigging but there is light at the end of the tunnel...

Has the second scope meeting about Flounder happened yet at the Dickinson Marine Lab?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBLbrJxGtro
    Not that much different than a Karankawa indian hunting the shallows at night with a torch and a spear.

One word: Waders

I'm going to try going out just to see what's out there. Clear water and low tides should help to cover a bunch of ground at least.

Comment

You forgot about Calm Winds!
      We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Is it still a good time for flounder gigging? What's the best time to go?

Comment

Flounder...

Originally posted by Texangler View Post
          Is it still a good time for flounder gigging? What's the best time to go?
          Tex-

Flounder are caught year round the majority are caught during the Fall Flounder Run. This is when the flounder leave the bays after the Summer. The Spring Run which is coming up is not as big as the Fall but still highly productive.

Over the last few years & especially in the last few months many steps have been taken in order to insure that the flounder population remains strong in Texas Bay Systems. In doing so regulations are being proposed that will cut the bag limit in half from where it is currently at 10 down to 5. No gigging dates might be set during the Fall run as many big females make there way out to spawn etc.

Last year before Ike, the Club helped with a Flounder Restocking Program at Lutes Marine on Chocolate Bayou. http://www.fishwestend.com/west-end-anglers-news You should be able to find something written up about it on the link above. Not to mention also in the forums.

MuddSkipper here on the website has a lot of knowledge and has been in close contact and communication with Chester Moore whom you probably know of already as the guy who writes the Saltwater Books you see at Academy and Cutrate (Fishing Tacle Unlimited) I'm sure many other locations as well.

There are a few reports about the TPWD meetings that have been held in the League City area most are posted on the Forum. Do a search about TPWD and Flounder and you should get some good hits here on the site.

If you need help learning how to go gig let me know. I'll take you out there. I've taught many here on the website and on 2COOL, there's no secret art to it just have to be patient. Once you spot one you'll know what your looking for and then your hooked... or should I say GIGGED

Coe-

Comment

Have gig, will not go hungry.

30k Flounder rig, $40 license, 5 fish bag / possesion limit.

A true addict.
            Not that much different than a Karankawa indian hunting the shallows at night with a torch and a spear.

Comment

I'm just happy it looks like they are not outlawing gigging this year....

I need to go out with you and Bailey again...I'll bring the beer. Just found out we're definitely being xferred to Denver....

Comment

Holmes, good to see you back around on the site... The Spring Run they say has started... not sure of any truth to that but we'll see Saturday

Comment

did you get anything?

Comment

Didn't even try.... Yan went out Friday I think and got a Yankee on one

He posted it already I believe...

Comment

So depressed!+

Comment

Keep Your Head Up It Will All Be OK... OR......... Go Wade Fishing And Join The Crowd......

Comment

Chin up Bro! Sure winter is a time of death and depression. That's why we live here so we don't see so much of it as Yankees do. Get out on the water anyway, at least for a boat ride. Gotta keep the motor running and get that old gas out. Get a little salt in the lungs. It's good powerful medicine.
                          From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Just think about it this way. Winter is almost over, and Spring will be here before you know it. Keep your head up!!
                            Why put off doing something today, when you can do it again tomorrow. LIKE FISHING!!

Comment

Originally posted by 2112 View Post
                              So depressed!+
                              Beer helps!
                              Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Working...
                              X