Opening Weekend Fish Fest - ArtiFISHals Fishing Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opening Weekend Fish Fest - ArtiFISHals Fishing Team

Since 2012 we have not had the privilege of sitting around the campfire with a cooler of beer thinking of which stand to hunt in the morning, we've opted to spending that same weekend chasing specks & reds down in the Laguna Madre.

This past weekend was nothing short of spectacular! Heading south to North Padre island after work on Thursday while passing many a pickup pulling a trailer with some type of ATV or UTV on the back with various assortment of coolers to hold the weekends bounty or the beverage of choice to celebrate freedom & firearms.

Friday morning was a cold winter wind out of the north putting the temperature in the mid 40's even all the way down on the island. We decided to see if the solunar was accurate & head out around 2pm to catch the major afternoon bite. Stopped off at the first flat to perfect our casting skills & test the durability of our Simms waders to 1ft waves. Right before departure to another flat, BAM, 22" redfish on a DSL. Back to the boat to the next flat. The bottom was a little softer here, into the water fighting the same waves around 20 minutes into the bite. 5 black drum & 8 specks between the 3 of us as the bite turned off & the sun crossed the horizon after catching numerous dinks & a few good fish spitting the hooks.

Saturday was awesome. We trekked back to that same mud flat mid afternoon giving the upcoming time change a few choice words, some clean & some not. The solunar was spot on as the bite started almost to the minute & we left them biting at sunset with 3 limits of specks from 17" to 24" all caught on Mirrolure lil' john & K Wiggler ball tail shad.

Sunday, weather wise, was an absolute gem! With just a slight breeze that didn't even move leaves, we decided to try the minor bite since the sun will now set much earlier than yesterday & we could get on & off the water without fighting any boating traffic. We were down a man since he is off to his new venture in the workforce after being laid off from his previous employer. Best of luck to him on his new job. In the water & 10ft from the boat the bite started. Waded up to the same spot from yesterday & the fish were still there. Same baits were thrown & 2 limits were the bounty. As soon as the wind shifted directions from the southeast the bite stopped. It is rare to go fishing down in the ULM & not have the fish scatter from whatever the cause, so we are thankful to have had been there when the bite was on fire.

We have a live weigh-in tournament in Aransas Pass on Saturday Dec 5. I hope for great results as well.

Pics to follow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Nice job, B! One of these days I’ll have time to fish again..

Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Nice hauls Byron!

"Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Working...
        X