No announcement yet.

Gulp and popping cork... It does work!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gulp and popping cork... It does work!

Hit W. Bay just after first light to find the S. shoreline chopped up and muddy from a stiff W. wind.

It was a little rough for tops, so I threw the trusty jerk shad. I was having some trouble keeping contact with the lure in the wind, and the 4" visibility wasn't giving me much confidence in the stealthy jerk bait.

I've always heard of people fishing gulps under a cork, but never really tried it myself. I figured that if there was a time to try it, it should be now. Tied on a small unweighted popping cork, just enough to float the 1/16oz jig. The cork made casting and keeping contact with the lure a lot easier in the wind, and the popping and splashing looked pretty good. I decided to give it a shot for 2 drifts.

At the end of the first drift I get a hard hit, and a fish rips out line as I see a nice speck go airborn and toss the hook. I guess one downside is the extra drag and weight of the cork makes it a bit easier to lose fish.

Ended up catching 3 specks to 20", a couple dinks, and a 25" red on the cork/gulp combo. Seeing the cork sound is a little bit less fun than feeling the "tick" of a trout hitting your plastic, but I'm sold on it for days like today.

Trophy of the day

Good trout

Keeper trout

Redfish. Love that pull!

All fish released to catch again.

Good hunt Milkjug.
    10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

Very nice MJ. great pics also-I especially like the jumper! Cool. Did ya weigh that first pic trout in STAR? Ha Ha!!
      "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

MilkJug you waited till today to bust out that skill? Man we should have been throwing that all day Saturday
        We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Ouch, you're burnin me... I got nothin.

Comment

Good job Milkjug, we tried that for a little while Saturday with just trash fish messing with us. I get too impatient and start throwing worms again after a little while

Comment

That water looks pretty sick

Comment

very nice.congrats!
                Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

Nice Report! That wind sucked today

Comment

Nice job MJ.....I have used it a few times myself.
                    sigpic
                    Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

nice work dude!
                      MANVEL MOB

Comment

Awesome milkjug! How did u work it and how much leader did u have b/w the cork n lure? May give that a try one day!

Comment

Get u a couple of Cajun Thunder popping corks. They work great with a gulp under them./.

Comment

I am not a big fan of gulp under popping cork, but Donna catch her biggest red to date with it, so she like throwing it once and awhile.
                            LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

How did u work it and how much leader did u have b/w the cork n lure?
                              I would give it a pop or two, pause a second, then pull the cork medium speed through the water for about 2 feet (to move it), then pause, repeat pops....

The jig was suspended about 1' under the cork. Kind of short, but the fish didn't seem to mind. I would go longer if the water was more clear.

I have some cajun thunders ($2 clearance at Academy!). Didn't bring them because I never used any corks with artis. Will add them to the arsenal after today. One thing I didn't like about the cork was it's hard to pull it fast through the water, making it harder to cover an area. Cajun T's are a lot more streamlined, which is good.

Comment

Working...
                              X