Saturday Offshore Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saturday Offshore Report

Headed offshore Saturday morning in buddy Mark's boat. Had my brother in law and his 20 year old son with us. Bro in law has not fished in around 30 years and Seth his son I have taken out last year.

Weather was fantastic...water calmed through out the day till we could easily cruise at 30. Clean water was close in...we pulled up to a shrimper and hooked up with a good king going maybe 20. Seth was on this one. We hot some of the short rigs and the shrimpers and pulled king fish each time. Saw a good six foot black tip but couldn't get him hooked up. Neither Mark or I reeled any in...he would drive, I would grab the rod, set the hook, and hand it off for Seth and Dave.

By one of the rigs I saw three ling swim up for a look at the boat. Had a rod ready and threw out a ribbon fish behind a silver skirt with no weight in front of him...as it slowly sank the three kind of followed it down till they were under the boat...watching the line for movement and then it tightened up...set the hook and handed it off to Dave. Had it to the boat pretty quick so I told him to hang on as we tried to get more baits in the water for the other two. They would not pick it up so I decided to bring in those extra lines and I would go ahead and gaff him and get him in the boat. Dave worked the fish beside the boat and I went in with the gaff trying for just underneath the chin...hit him and and that big old head came out of the water thrashing and that hook went flying. OOPS! On me I'm afraid. Think I may have drilled the hook or simply tried to gaff him too far forward. Dave still got a good fight but I was pizzed as I wanted that ling!!!!!

We continued to search for more fish and just so happened to be looking at one of the baits when a nice mahi came up and nailed it, sending himself out of the water a few feet. Beautiful sight to see!!!!! I grabbed the rod, set the hook, and I guess I plain old forgot to hand it off LOL! I wanted that fish!!! He came up a couple times and danced for us and after a few minutesI was able to get him in the boat and plan on having him a noche for dinner!

Mark took photos and when I get them from him I will post them up. All in all a good trip with several kings, a missed ling, and one mahi...both Dave and Seth will have long good memories of this trip and each said they want to reload again next year...

On a separate note...was on a cruise last week...300 miles out from Galveston we passed two pods of whales maybe 75 yards from the boat. Any clue as to what kind they may have been? Don't know my whale facts!
    sigpic

Lots of whales in the GOM - there is even a report of a pod of killer whales that made it in one time...

Pilot whales seem to be sighted the most

that ling story is a buger ... when we have a ling like that we have the box open, and we try to gaff it in, and it goes straight to the box ... they can do some damage on the deck .... good report
    FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN

Comment

Great report....Thanks,
      sigpic
      Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

A buddy I worked with was fishing Cognac over in Louisiana (deepwater floater) and took some great shots of sperm whales-I had no idea sperm whales were in the GOM. Really big mammals.
        "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Working...
        X