Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roll Over Pass Closure

http://www.sanmarcosdailyrecord.com/...331092023.html

heard about it all last week on sports radio.
    NoBama

Comment

Close it!
      We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

i never have fished there, heard its pretty good spot.

Comment

Its causing erosion, its not navigable and there are talks about putting in a fishing pier which would be just fine IMO.

Comment

I have a bunch of old timer relatives (mostly commercial fisherman and oystermen) from the Smith Point area that said in the late 40's and early 50's before they opened the pass they had a lot of trouble in that end of the bay with green moss and algae. Evidently it was so bad that it was affecting the health of the oyster reefs. Not sure how full of crap they are or if the pass opening had anything to do with it at all. Just hope we don't see any negative effects.
            Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

would be very detrimental to the health of the bay, there is no other natural water flow on that end of the bay. That little pass is what makes the shorelines on the east end of East Bay so good. If you have never seen Black's in the spring or Frozen Point you are missing out. those areas would stagnate.
              http://www.theshallowist.com

Comment

Couldn't agree with you more Shallowist

Call me crazy but it only makes sense, plus the cost of a 6-12 day job ( $6 Million )...

Put that $$ back into rebuilding the Piers/TC Dike that were knock down/destroyed by Ike..

wd

Comment

The SHALLOWIST is RIGHT ! The middle and east end would not have the awesome fishing it does now. Back when they dug that pass, they did it for a REASON. Now, they just care about having to spend money to keep the ICW open . Yeah, beach erosion, sure, but some jetties would help that. But, again, that would cost too much.
                  GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Heck it was dredged before my time. I have no basis of comparison before / after etc.. I'll keep my thoughts to myself

I haven't made it that far East before. Guess I need to get there before fishing declines in that area.

What do you all foresee happening and what kind of time line are we talking for the decline? Immediate or gradual?

Comment

Originally posted by WestEndAngler View Post
                      Heck it was dredged before my time. I have no basis of comparison before / after etc.. I'll keep my thoughts to myself

I haven't made it that far East before. Guess I need to get there before fishing declines in that area.

What do you all foresee happening and what kind of time line are we talking for the decline? Immediate or gradual?
                      I remember a time long time ago, say in the 70's we would go to the Golden Croaker Run @ Roll Over. It was the neatest thing ever, had to be over a 1000 folks. The run I remember hearing some folks say,
                      " the best ever ". Afterwards or before we left my Pops made us 3 boys start cleaning, picking up trash! We even haul some home cause trash cans were full. There were folks whacking them good eats up, some even just slinging in the back of there trucks and throwing ice over them.
                      Today there still is a Croaker run through the pass, although not as strong. My point is, it is a Great place for all to fish be it in the pass or the gulf side. A place were a bundle of folks can go and let our fishing rights explode with lots of room for all. With limited access to the destroyed Piers, we need this park and should have a voice/vote. At least wait till some of the piers have been repaired or new ones are build.

I do believe it will take only a short time to see the down fall of this project, if any. I don't know you don't know what the real cause will be but can only thing
                      " Why Chance it " , the Erosion is going to happen and I'm sorry but you must be in a fancy if you think your home is gonna be safe on the beach front. I mean we live on the coast where hurricanes / tropical storms and other weather events happen all the time. How bout the idea of when and it doesn't happen often but a major freeze hits, a quick access for the fishes to flee from the back parts of E.Bay.... Ummmm!

I just wish if it happens, which I hear there is still a chance it may not happen b/c of more hearings from our elected officals.. that it would be placed on ballot to let our voices be hard... which if past to close it, I'd fill better.. Well Kinda of.....

wd

Comment

Originally posted by WestEndAngler View Post

If there are going to be detrimental effects to the fishing I would imagine it would be noticed quickly. Fish (all sealife for that matter) are notoriously finicky critters and will probably be really sensitive to any change that dramatic. As far as the oysters and water quality it will most likely be a more gradual thing. I've talked to more of my east bay old-timer relatives since my last post and they all seem to be pretty concerned.
                        Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Heard on the 610 Outdoor show,
                          It's a done thing guys.. I hope the predictions are right about "the closure"

WHAT A SHAME!
                          WD

Comment

Originally posted by shallowist View Post
                            would be very detrimental to the health of the bay, there is no other natural water flow on that end of the bay. That little pass is what makes the shorelines on the east end of East Bay so good. If you have never seen Black's in the spring or Frozen Point you are missing out. those areas would stagnate.
                            couldnt have said it better.
                            Mirrolure Pro Staff

Comment

I intend to talk to Mickey more about this. I think that every Glaveston angler needs to get behind this cause. It will effect a great deal of East Galveston Bay in a very adverse manner.
                              http://www.theshallowist.com

Comment

Working...
                              X