First SPI trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First SPI trip

After basically only ever fishing the Galveston complex, Getting on the water round South Padre Island was a real shock. The water clarity is amazing. His family had recently sold their larger bay boat, and now have a Dargel Scout.

My buddy (whose bay house we stayed at) and I fished Friday afternoon from about 12:30 til 4:00. Caught 7 specks and kept 2. The keepers were 18" and 19.5". The released ones were all around 14"-16". We fished at his dock under the lights from about 8:00 til 10:00. I caught a 17" flounder and he caught 3 dink trout. All were released. One of his trout came during the firework display the island puts on every Friday evening. It was about 10 seconds after I made the comment, "I bet these fireworks sure help with the fish catching." Shows what I know....

Saturday we got on the water about 8:30. Hit a couple spots around the ICW and did well. Caught 12 specks and 1 oyster fish. Specks were 12"-18". We kept 1. My buddy then decided that it would be fun to hit the jetties, so off we went. He took us to just past the tip of the jetties in this little Scout. I think to myself, "****, I didn't bring anything to fish like this." So I tied a 1 oz flounder rig with steel leader on to my 7 ft American Rodsmith trout special with a 4 inch Gulp pink swimming mullet and freelined it. On the 2nd try, something took it hard. Looked at my buddy and said, "Uh-Oh!" Line goes slack after 2 minutes. When I get the lure in, it's shredded and missing the tail. Tried a couple more times with nothing taking. Told my buddy that this boat can't barely handle the rollers, so we went back in. Drifted a spot right by the bridge, and caught 5 more specks around 14"-16". All were released. We were getting warm so we headed back to the house at about 4:30.

We took his grandma out for a birthday dinner that evening and had them fry our trout fillets and a few red fillets that grandma had had in the freezer. Restaurant did a really good job. The bartender at the restaurant took a shine to my buddy, so after dropping grandma off and having some cake, we went back to the bar and I did the wingman thing. This catch took about 3 hours to land and was 66". After snapping a few photos, she was released.

We fished again Sunday morning from about 7:00-9:00. Buddy caught a few dink trout. I had a big speck blow up my topwater. Fought with him for a few minutes, and he spit the hook. Would have easily been our biggest trout of the trip. We headed back, grabbed a shower, ate at Manuel's on the way out, and made the long drive back home.

I didn't get my first snook, but it was still a very fruitful trip. I still have a great excuse to go back soon. 1/4 oz DOA's were the trick this weekend. My buddy primarily used the natural colored one, and I used the pearl with chartreuse tail. I also used a Chickenboy 4" shrimp. Purple with chartreuse tail on a 1/4 oz jig head. The topwater blowup was on a Paul Brown. Texas (electric?) chicken is what the color is, I think. Can't every remember that color name, I just know it by sight. Neither one of us are photobugs, so I just have the one picture from the first day. I'll post it in a bit.
    What Would Hans Wagemueller Do?

Awesome...I try to fish down there at least once a year...small kings hang out at the end of the rocks in bunches...need a wire leader!
    sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the interesting report !
      GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	SPI.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	560892
        What Would Hans Wagemueller Do?

Comment

Sounds like a blast! Way to go on the CPR on the bar catch! Lol!

Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life.
          "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Sounds like a great trip. Nice report and pic!!

Comment

Working...
            X