fishing slicks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fishing slicks

anyone have any pointers on how to go about fishing them. I saw several this evening, but wasn't really sure about it so I didn't mess with it. My wife was enjoying being anchored and just being on the water so I left it alone.

so just drift through it or beside it? I reckon paddle tales would be the go to bait? would the slick be right on top of them or a little up current? so many questions lol
    Green grass and high tides forever
    Mike Mathena

There are basically three kinds of slicks. Tidal or wind slicks, crab trap, and fish slicks. One fish makes a slick. Trout, flounder, gaff top, and even porpoise will make a slick. If you notice an oily sheen the size of a child's hula hoop toy on the water surface, that is a fresh slick. The wind and current will expand the dimensions of the slick and it will enlarge itself. When fishing if you notice the small slicks popping here and there in an area, you're on a school. Position yourself upwind and behind the area and drift towards and between them keeping your self as quite as possible. Drift fishing slicks can be very productive, hope this helps.
    Last edited by H.Maier; July 13, 2015, 09:55 AM.

Comment

It helped allot, thanks.
      I was wondering about the size of the slicks with wind and waves.
      Mike Mathena

Comment

Originally posted by grown in Tx View Post
        It helped allot, thanks.
        I was wondering about the size of the slicks with wind and waves.
        The smaller, the better-means you're darn close. Seen em pop up near shorelines and they're about the size of a paper plate, then expand quickly. remember, that fish is moving, so be far upwind because the fish move and the slick goes the opposite direction due to wind/current.
        "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Slicks are made by feeding fish . They regurgitate some oily stomach content when feeding . Follow larger slicks up wind/current to their origin . They are in a feeding mood so go get them .
          GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Thanks guys, I can't wait to get back out and put this info to work.
            Mike Mathena

Comment

They've got an odd smell sort of like watermelon. If you ever smell that take a look around.
              "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Yep. Sometimes you can smell them before you see them. The melon smell is usually trout or porpoise. The bait fish, mullet smell can be trout or gaff top. The small paper plate ones close to shorelines are most always flounder. IMO. Next to locating bait fish, or bird activity, slicks are a surefire way of locating fish and that's key to catching.
                Last edited by H.Maier; July 14, 2015, 06:59 AM.

Comment

Another quality post. Lol

Comment

Yeah, I know the smell, we circled around about a 50 foot in diameter slick Sunday just to check it out and that was the strongest I've ever smelled it. Didn't see any sign of bait or fish though.
                    Mike Mathena

Comment

Yeah, I know the smell, we circled around about a 50 foot in diameter slick Sunday just to check it out and that was the strongest I've ever smelled it. Didn't see any sign of bait or fish though.
                      ...fished a ton over the years here on Galveston Bay, and have been doing my best to convince my fishing friends that this time of year what they are smelling is "Gafftop". FINALLY!! They went out on their own and all they were catching were slimers....case closed! However, you can also see slicks...small ones...pop up on Flounder right on the shoreline as well as over by the Red Crab Trap in the Galveston Channel and know it's time to get busy.

Comment

If it was that big it was probably downwind of where the fish were located.
                        "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Just so I can give you the right information you better show me where they were. Then I can better answer your question
                          Fishwhisperer

Comment

How about you take me out to your spots and I'll be the slick spotter for ya lol
                            Mike Mathena

Comment

Bwaaaaaaahahahahaha

Comment

Working...
                              X