Stellar day and this girl can cast!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stellar day and this girl can cast!!

Got a second chance at putting Stacy Lynn from Sportsman's Finest in Austin on some redfish. Last trip was horrible, with solid cloud cover and nasty winds. This time we got some sunlight in our favor and were able to work them over.

Started a little later than I normally would, due to cooler morning temps and someone's dislike of being cold. Birds were everywhere that we looked early and there were fish all over the skinny water. She got 2 solid fish in our first spot and we saw tons but they were very spooky with the water low and clear.

I told her we should work on some better fish and that they would be a little easier to see at spot two. They didn't let us down!! We spent 4-5 hours slowly working a flat in ultra shallow water and had crawling fish the entire time. These fish were so shallow that their backs were exposed sometimes from head to tail. Most of the afternoon I had the boat dragging the bottom to get within range of them. Many of the fish we would watch for minutes before we could get into range and present the fly.

Stacy has no shortage of casting skills and did an amazing job of presenting flies to some very wary reds. All but one fish were in the mid slot (23-26) range. We had one bigger fish on that we lost due to a knot in the fly line that wouldn't go through the guides.

She landed 8 solid fish on fly, spending time testing a couple of new patterns I have been working on. She wanted me to get a couple of shots, but poling the boat while its on the bottom takes a lot of effort. I was on deck long enough to land the 2 smallest fish of the day and lost one big one.

Highlight of the day was the final fish. We watched her with back exposed for well over 5 minutes, Stacy presented the fly 4 or 5 times. The fish was sitting still, back fully exposed and would turn to attack the fly then miss it and stay stationary again. I'm not sure if the fish stirred too much mud when she would explode on the fly or if she couldn't track it because he eyes were above the water line! LOL. Either way, it has to be one of the coolest redfish experiences I have ever seen!! The final fish was a fat 26 inches!
    Will have some video to add to this later but for now... Enjoy the pics.
    http://www.theshallowist.com

Nice job...and fantastic pics
    sigpic

Comment

Beautiful stuff Cap'n Steve! Thanks for sharing.
      "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

way to go steve! glad you were able to put her on some fish. it was definatly a stellar day and glad you got to show her some of our redfish going crazy!

Comment

Nice catch there Capt. Steve!! Thanks for the report. What was the fly of choice?
          Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

Originally posted by corndog View Post
            Nice catch there Capt. Steve!! Thanks for the report. What was the fly of choice?
            Glad you asked that question.... We caught the first two on a crab pattern in the marsh, without bottom structure a weighted fly helps because the fish are often close to the bottom. We tested two colors of a new pattern that I call the SAM. I have been playing with a few ideas to nail down stuff that will work when the fish are in thick grass and skinny water. This is the fly in the close up shot. It worked like a charm and they would climb all over it. More importantly, she could stop the fly and let it sink all the way into the grass, then start retrieving again and it wouldn't foul. We also caught two on my shrimp pattern, Shrimp Soule'.

We kept a rod rigged up for big trout with a Sea Ducer that I have found effective, but never saw a black back all day. I tried to talk her into throwing that fly at the reds, but we never did it.

Here's what the SAM looks like.
            Attached Files

Comment

Stellar day and this girl can cast!!

Super bad a** Steve!
              Captain Glenn Stevens
              Coastal Guide Service
              www.Fishcoastal.com

Comment

Link to my FB page with video from the day...

http://www.facebook.com/steve.soule.10?ref=tn_tnmn

Comment

That's get after'm capt.steve. I like that fly,very buggy-shrimpy-crabby kind of "thing"
                  skiffstiff

Comment

Working...
                  X