Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wade and Fly Fish West Bay

Good Afternoon,
    I am a Houston born, and grew up fishing West Bay. I am recent graduate from The University of Mississippi (Hotty Toddy!), with a geological engineering degree. All through school I would escape to the nearby tail waters of North East Arkansas, and slam brown and rainbow trout till I got tired. But I have now moved to Houston and need my fix. I work on oil rigs in exploration geology (one of the lucky ones working thank God), and have a bit of time off coming up, and a new 8wt fly rod I really wanna bend! Any and all advice is appreciated on location, timing, and tackle. Are there any sweet spots that could be waded into here in early November? Seeing videos of sight fishing reds has me ready to lose it out here in the Permian Basin. I am literally sitting on the rig now drilling the last 7000 feet till I can finally make it back home to fish. Hopefully I can get out by Halloween and catch those spooky and easy fish. Thank you for any input and your time. Tight lines everybody!

You can walk in along the south shoreline especially around the Galveston State Park and catch reds in the grass. There's a lot of us that like to use the fly rod.
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Excellent, I was going to make first attempt at GISP. I have been doing a lot of looking around there on google earth. I'm excited to hear of more fly fisherman. I've been scoffed at by most for wanting to catch reds on the fly in Galveston. I hope to see y'all out there, hopefully not to much longer for me.

Comment

You need to take a couple of rods and some lures with you to work.
        Fishing off a rig should enable you to catch a lot of nice fish.

Comment

I'm inshore right now working in the Big Spring area. The next step is to work off shore when drilling picks up there again. I have a strong taste for Cobia. Now that would be a catch on the fly rod!

Comment

One cobia steak per advice is the rule of thumb for this forum…….
            Fishwhisperer

Comment

Originally posted by rtoler View Post
              One cobia steak per advice is the rule of thumb for this forum…….
              ...... And your advice , Randy , is to give you a cobia steak ? HAR ! Tell me if it works and I'll plead for one also .
              GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Thats a deal fellas. Should manage to get out to the rigs this Monday so I'll keep y'all in the loop!

Comment

how was the trip?

Comment

It was an awesome trip. We were located in Gulfport, Mississippi. Weather wasn't exactly cooperating so we were limited to inshore all but one of the days. Inshore we did very well and caught over a 100 white trout and caught many small specks. (Some were caught on the old fly rod!) After setting off to find bigger fish I hooked up with a fat 20 inch speck on my buddies ultra light rod with 5 pond test. On the offshore trip it was great, and very bad. Seas were fine but the motor was not. After hooking up the first rig we chummed up the area with cut bait and got huge red snapper and small mangroves to the surface almost immediately. Shortly after 4 keeper Cobia came up from the bottom in the chum. They were being very poor eaters and wouldn't go after any bait. Finally we dropped cut bait in front of their nose and landed one. Caught countless red snapper tossing them back one after another in the hunt for grouper. Caught some Bonita and some Spanish mackerel. It was late in the day and we were about to leave and the motor wouldn't start... Needless to say how lucky we were to have calm seas, already hooked up to a rig, and owners of a sea tow membership. While waiting till about 8 pm for the tow boat to get there we caught another Cobia and saw many more. got a large hammerhead to side of the boat. He was to close To the 8 foot limit for us to mess with him so he was set free. And it only took 4 hours to get towed in the 20 miles!

Comment

Trying to add pictures

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image (1).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	562259Click image for larger version

Name:	image (2).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	562260Click image for larger version