Going Around the Bend- 01/07/18 Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going Around the Bend- 01/07/18 Report

Epic doesn't even begin to describe it. Had the pleasure to meet Joe Kent today after talking for the last couple of weeks. From Nebraska, he's doing a one month rotation at UTMB.

We headed out with another one of my buddies early. After giving Joe the short run down on the Hobie Sport, we headed of to fish some deeper oyster reefs. The initial action was sporadic to say the least. We would find a few here and there and for the most part, fish were in the dinky side. I picked up 6 trout early while the rest of the group picked off a few.

The tide slacked so we went to a different area that none of us had fished before. It consisted mainly of soft mud and steep drop offs from 2ft to 12 plus. There were trout and redfish everywhere along these drops. Our best tactic was to position the kayak parallel to the shoreline and work the drop offs. I mainly used a bass assassin in space guppy on a bass assassin 1/4th jighead. Joe used a variety of lures including white curly tails on under spins. I was worried that there was going to be a large learning curve on artificial, but with his experience with Walleye and other types of fishing not common around here, he picked up the drop off tactic real quick.

Joe apparently is a redfish magnet. While trying to complete his 10 trout limit, Joe kept catching red after red after red. Not even dink trout wanted to mess with his lure. After much persistence and honing in on better zones that had trout, we each ended up with a limit of reds and trout for a total of a 3 man limit of trout and redfish. When you have a day of fishing when you are sore from catching, that's a great and epic day.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by WestEndAngler; January 10, 2018, 12:42 PM.
    Resident Ninja

Very nice! You guys put a hurtin’ on em!!
    Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Great report. Way to go tear em up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Comment

Whoa !
        How excellent ! You can’t do better than that .
        GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Sweet meat haul!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
          "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Very nice
            Mirrolure Pro Staff

Comment

Way to go Jonathan.
              We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Man that's awesome! Way to but a beat down on 'em! Congrats!

-FP

Comment

Top Notch trip! Thanks for the report
                  Scott
                  "All fishermen are liars except you and me and to tell you the truth, I'm not so sure about you!"

Comment

Man you guys are loaded , heck of a trip

Comment

Havent seen stringers like that in a long time. Congrats!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X