West Bay Navigation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• West Bay Navigation

New to West Bay as well as this forum. My question is, I recently moved a boat to west bay that was bought up around ft worth. It drafts 8” but still having trouble through the shallow areas (entire bay seems like). It has a manual jack plate, being that it was set up for lake fishing, is it common to raise the motor to help run the skinny water. I grew up on boats but first time with a fishing boat so I’m a newbie so welcoming all FNG comments with open arms.

we have a 19 ft pathfinder. and we find the bottom alot.
    but i recommend a depth finder & exploring local waters regularly.. follow other boats, if you have a depth finder that keeps track of your routes... thats what we have. it makes my routes show up in Pink on my screen...

Comment

The smartest thing to do would be to hire a guide with the provision that your boat would be used on the trip. A Hook N Line map as well as Google Earth study help me a lot. As already stated, a GPS would be key as well.
      From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

IMO, leave your motor down. Better to hit bottom than get stuck on top of a sand bar.

Comment

Guys I've done all the work with Google and Side scanned all the reefs. That is most of what's causing the issues in West Bay... that and needing to know where to cut through them and that's also done in most areas like Jones and through Confederate / Deer. If you just steer clear of the reefs and keep yourself in 3' plus based on Navionics then you can run JackPlate down in West Bay. If you can avoid the reefs and stay a little deeper you can run a boat in West Bay that has a 2' draft with no problem.

How many of you know about ReefRecon
          https://troutsupport.com/products/oyster-reef-recon
          TroutSupport.comsigpic

Comment

Working...
          X