March fishing west bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• March fishing west bay

Hello all, with school moving online and spring break being extended, I’ve decided to head down to Galveston west bay Wednesday. From the looks of it the water is warming. It is currently 68 degrees and with the weather staying warm I expect it to go above 70 by the time I’m there. I’ve always had trouble with this month. Can I get any advice for fishing west bay in March? I’m thinking about hitting either sportsman’s road,dalehite cove, jumbile cove, or snake island. Not looking for any top secrets but I’m leaning toward sportsman’s. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I agree, March is always a tough month for me to find numbers of trout, but the ones i find are usually better fish...reds not as much. Find a drain in one of those coves you like, bait, an outgoing tide, and park in front of that drain...they will be there. Tops are usually better fish, not always, and tails usually catch more fish is my experience. You can probably still catch fish around Sportmans, but i always quit there at the end of February. Lower west bay is much more interesting and easier to wade imho.

Comment

Would sportsman’s be good around the marsh on the back side of the road, not out front by deer island and the reef. Also I’ve been searching and I can’t find any really good marsh drains in any of the coves. The only notable ones I can find are in dalehite cove between the geo tube openings. Would dalehite be a good place to go in the spring time?

Comment

Capt. Greg Francis wrote an article FISHING GALVESTON WEST BAY a while back . It is geared to having access to a boat but is still good for useful information for walk in waders . You have to hunt for it or maybe our beloved and always helpful monitor would pull it up for us . Good luck !
        GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Working...
        X