New Gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Gear

Well, I'm in the market for some new BTB and offshore gear. My target is mainly kings and other pelagics around the beaches and surf in my yak. What reel would y'all recommend? My "heavy duty" duty outfit is currently a 7ft med calico jack rod with a 2500 (or maybe 4000) Sonora with 50 lb braid. I know that it probably won't cut it but am looking for ideas. I do have a low budget at this point, but that hasn't stopped me before. Thanks!
    Resident Ninja

Penn battles are good I own 3 for the purpose you are referring too. I have them on 7 ft ugly stik tigers. They are reasonably priced and can hold a lot of line.
    Son of the Republic

Comment

Originally posted by D-I-A View Post
      Penn battles are good I own 3 for the purpose you are referring too. I have them on 7 ft ugly stik tigers. They are reasonably priced and can hold a lot of line.
      What size reel should i get? I want to go as light as possible, but not too light so that the first fish spools me.
      Resident Ninja

Comment

I have 8000 because I will be going after big sharks but a 6000 should be plenty for kings, ling, tarpon, and snapper.
        Son of the Republic

Comment

Spinning: Penn 6500SS and shimano spinning rod or penn spinning rod in 20#-40# line weight rod.
          Trolling/Baitcast: I like my Abu 7000 LD best (LD=Lever Drag) for kings and ling and snappers-great free liner but not great for trolling-it has a level wind and ya don't really want a level wind for trolling; then Shimano TLD 20 and 25s for trolling with an Allstar Gulfstream Rod ($40 or used to be) or Okuma T30 (very nice reel and was cheap-about $115) and matched with Allstar Gulfstream rod.

Ya can't go wrong with an old Penn Senator 113 either-star drag, holds lots of line and a workhorse-will last forever. I have caught 40-50# YFT on a Penn 309 with 30# test and a cheapo two piece 8' rod. Whole set up (Senator) (used) shouldn't be more than $80. I use 30 -40# mono. My brother uses 65# braid on a Calcutta 400 and landed a 44" ling-I use the calcutta 400 also-great king reel-heck even a Ambassador 6500 with braid will catch most fish ya encounter in the areas ya be looking.

Also, the Sonora must be a 4000-a 2500 Sonora would hold 80 yards of line-that reel will work just fine.
          "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Any of the old Penn reals are great and will last forever. Penn Jigmaster, 112H, 113H or even a 114H. I don't know about the new reels but the old ones are built like tanks.
            "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after" ~ Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by Texfish View Post
              Any of the old Penn reals are great and will last forever. Penn Jigmaster, 112H, 113H or even a 114H. I don't know about the new reels but the old ones are built like tanks.
              what he said.

Comment

Look at the Avet SX.....we have over 500 yds of line on ours and they've taken down anything from black drum to 40+ lb dorado

Comment

Working...
                X