Using Trout for Bait...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Trout for Bait...

... I mean rainbow trout imitation lures... in freshwater.

I went on my last fishing trip in Scotland at Lake Menteith. The morning temps were just below 32 deg F but the skies were clear and the scenery was breath-taking.

Lake Menteith used to be well-known for its huge rainbow trout (up to 20 lbs) and pike (up to 40 lbs) but 3 years ago most of the big ones died as a result of a faster than normal lake turnover that depleted the oxygen. Anyway, we were going after the pike to see if there were any lunkers left.

I started off throwing a big slow-sinking rainbow trout swim bait in 20-25ft of water. Hooked the first fish after about an hour... my first pike. Continued with that same pattern for most of the day and ended up with 5 pike, all in the 2-3 lb range.... Small relative to the monsters we were going for but entertaining enough to keep me satisfied until I get back to Galveston.

Tight lines....

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1463.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	2.65 MB
ID:	570618Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1467.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	2.68 MB
ID:	570619

Thats pretty cool!!
    Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

nice pics, thanks for the report

Comment

That's just awesome! I'm envious!
        "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

I have used them for big stripers in lakes where they stock rainbow trout. We were chunking big 9" lures catching nice striper. Arms were dead at the end of the trip.

Nice Pics by the way.

Comment

I have caught more than one flounder that has caughed up baby specs ... so it goes to show, fish don't know what the regs are ...
            FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN

Comment

Looks like a nice trip and great scenery. I use the spec pattern SS Jr and have caught trout and reds on it.
              sigpic
              Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Fish eat fish.

Comment

Very nice. Safe travels.
                  KEEP IT WET..

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

Purdy scenery and nice fish!

I'm not sure if it was due to hunger, but freshwater trout cooked right that morning after fishing in Wa. state with my 'ol grampa (bless his soul) is some of the best fish I can remember.

Comment

Beautiful pics. I'm just now seeing your post. Were you fishing with Jim? What's he doing now?

Comment

Working...
                        X