Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fly Fishing West Bay 12/04-12/06

Good afternoon all,

I am coming down for a long weekend with my son, his best friend, his dad and another fishing buddy from north Texas. We are camping at Galveston State Park on the bay side. I grew up fishing Galveston Bay, West Bay, etc.... not so much on the fly though. We are primarily fishing with fly rods and will have conventional gear for backup, but I won't be using it, lol.

This is my son's 14th birthday trip and needless to say as a dad, I want to see him get into the fish and show him what it's all about to saltwater fish. I have tied up many of the following flies:

white/chartreuse clousers
    white/red clousers
    white/gray clousers
    redfish crack
    redfish kwan
    bend back minnows

We are wade fishing this trip, probably regret not bringing the kayaks, but we can always come back! Looking to fish around the state park and down towards San Luis Pass.

If you guys don't mind; am I on track with my thoughts and logic here? It's been a little over 14 years since I have fished this area with little of it on the fly. Any issues I should be aware of about wading in the marsh areas? Need to make sure I get everybody back home in one piece.

I look forward to any comments!

Tight lines.
    FishyB

STINGRAYS are very prevalent in that area. I would not wade without protection. Good luck, I might see you out there. I have an HB and will look like an idiot with a fly rod
    Fishwhisperer

Comment

If you are camping at GISP, you can walk into Oak Bayou just west of the park road and wade it all the way to the mouth. It can get a little muddy in there but it isn't too bad. You'll be doing nothing but blind casting in there. Looks to me like you have the right fly selection. If your son is going to throw conventionals, stick with soft plastics on a light jig head or corkys.

JYC
      "Shut up and jerk your croaker" - James Fox

Comment

Howdy guys. Thank you for the information. We had a great trip, however, busted on the fly, but did manage an 18 pound drum on dead shrimp at San Luis Pass with a bass fishing rod, lol. I have posted on my blog, the trip with video on YouTube, check it out if you like!

We will be back soon for more fun in West Bay.

Tight lines.
        FishyB

Comment

Working...
        X