Estes Flats Reds.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Estes Flats Reds.....

My regular fishing buddy called me this afternoon when I was on the way home from hanging sheetrock and said lets go.....I said no, I was tired and needed a shower......I got talked into going. Got home and took a shower, loaded up some beer and sandwitches and they picked me up at 3:30. We launched at Cove Harbor and caught bait right in the harbor. Got 4-5 dozen nice finger mullet and put them in bait buckets (no live well). By the time we got to where we were going to fish, we had about 10 live mullet which we used to catch 8-9 rat reds so we fished dead mullet which worked just as well as the live ones. We caught another 8-9 rat reds and a couple of keepers. We fished about 2 1/2 hours, drank beer for about 3 1/2 hours and had a great time catching small fish...I caught one 24" red that had a piece of line coming out his throat just behind his gills. He must have broken off from someone, the hook worked out and rusted off and the line was just hanging. When I cleaned him, he had about a foot of braided line in his gullet and about 2" hanging out. We had the fish cleaned and the beer cans thrown away and I was home just before 8PM. Not many in the box but a great day on the bay.

We fished a cut coming off Estes Flats on a falling tide.
    Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.

excellent
    sigpic

Comment

Ron,

That is a great report. I like fishing the cut between the spoil area and Estes Cove that is on the back side of Traylor, where all the mangoroves are. There is nothing prettier on the coast.

Comment

We were fishing just inside the the island behind the stilt cabin with the old boat that is beached in front of it. There are two stilt cabins on Traylor, we were at the one furtherest away from Cove Harbor.

Comment

Nice Ron! Way to go!!
          We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Nice report Ron!
            sigpic
            Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Originally posted by MELL WADER View Post
              Ron,

That is a great report. I like fishing the cut between the spoil area and Estes Cove that is on the back side of Traylor, where all the mangoroves are. There is nothing prettier on the coast.
              If you like that you should fish Shamrock Cove.

Nice report Ron. Plan on easing down that way come Tuesday if all works out.
              Don't be a Nancy!
              If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

Originally posted by FlatoutFishin View Post
                If you like that you should fish Shamrock Cove.

Nice report Ron. Plan on easing down that way come Tuesday if all works out.
                Let me know if you are going to be in the area......I usually work mornings and am free in the afternoons but I can take off anytime for fishing, hunting, shooting or drinking beer. I am rebuilding a project house and only have to please myself and my wife and our bank account. Call me if you get into town.

Comment

Originally posted by RonE View Post
                  Let me know if you are going to be in the area......I usually work mornings and am free in the afternoons but I can take off anytime for fishing, hunting, shooting or drinking beer. I am rebuilding a project house and only have to please myself and my wife and our bank account. Call me if you get into town.
                  10-4...when in Rockport I usually stay at my buddies over on Spanish Moss. I'll be sure and give you a shout. I hope to make it down Tuesday or Wednesday, but its still just a "maybe" right now.
                  Don't be a Nancy!
                  If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

Working...
                  X