468x80 Banner

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Diversion Channel inlet to West matty; shallow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diversion Channel inlet to West matty; shallow?

I have read on a couple of different forums that its real shallow past the sail boat going into West Bay. Anyone have some info to back this up? One guy sticking a boat and another saying he was just throwing mud. I have yet to make the bay in 2010. Is there a extermly low tide right now or stilting over? Headed down there Sunday morning.
    Impeach the Bamster
    Mega Ditto's

Outgoing tide today, but it is not 2 bad right now. Looks like a lot of water should be moving today, so be careful in low running areas. My feeling are if you are not 100% of the water level and it does not feel right, then don't try it. There is plenty of water out there to find fish in.

Good luck and be safe.
    LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

Yes, it get extreamly shallow in that area even during the summer tides. I can usually make it across in my boat, but it runs very shallow when trimmed up. If in dought go down and hit the first big cut and you should have no problem.There is also a shoal of shallow water out about a 1/4 to a 1/2 mile from the mouth as well, you could get stuck on it if your not aware of it's location.

Comment

Originally posted by Sneekypete View Post
        Yes, it get extreamly shallow in that area even during the summer tides. I can usually make it across in my boat, but it runs very shallow when trimmed up. If in dought go down and hit the first big cut and you should have no problem.There is also a shoal of shallow water out about a 1/4 to a 1/2 mile from the mouth as well, you could get stuck on it if your not aware of it's location.
        yup I know its all maked on that big ol lowrance too!
        MANVEL MOB

Comment

Yeah I know the area pretty good. I use to go to the left about 20 yards of the sialboat and then center my self back up to go just right of the big wooded "T" marker and fellow along side of the PVC stakes all the way out. "staying to the right of them" I know about 30 yards once you past the "T" theres a pile of rebar on the right. But I been threw there alot last couple of yrs. I have seen on the right bank right before the open into West, that whole side would be sand at low tide. I have a flats scooter and made it just fine. Thought it might had did some seriuos filling in since last yr by the way these people were talking.
          Impeach the Bamster
          Mega Ditto's

Comment

Oh BTW the sailboat has moved again, its more to center/center left on channel.
            Impeach the Bamster
            Mega Ditto's

Comment

Yes, i keep pretty good tabs on the ghostship, i come through there at night a lot and you had better know where your at in the dark while running in that little spot of the bay.

Comment

I marked 3' all the way thru there following the poles 2 weeks ago but the tides were pretty high.

Comment

I was down there about a month ago in the diversion channel. Had a friend and his young boy with us. I tried to get up close to the sailboat to show the lil guy but it got really shallow so I turned us around. I've never attempted to make it through any of those cuts into the bay from the diversion channel in my boat (boston whaler montauk). I did notice a cut on the West side of the channel that people were coming and going through that I was unfamiliar with? I do not know the depth of that cut but, the one on the East side is pretty shallow. As others have stated... you better know where your going around that area.

Comment

I'm going thru there again either Tuesday or Wednesday. I'll get another depth reading. If you stay on plane on the right side of the sailboat, head towards the old wooden markers ahead. Stay just off the right side of those and keep an eye out for the PVC pipes towards the East. Stay just to the right of all of the PVC pipes and it is smooth sailing once you get by them.

Comment

Working...
                    X