Tailing Reds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tailing Reds

Is there any other fish in the Galveston system that tails?
    A couple weeks ago I was in about 8" water and could only see thin silver/blue tips sticking out. They stayed in a small 3' area, not roaming.
    Anyhow, I couldn't draw a strike and started to think mullet. This happened with the only three tails I saw that day.
    I'm fairly new to sight casting to reds on the fly. I've caught my share of tailing reds on standard tackle, but it is very different in practice.

Maybe sheephead or drum, but dont know if drums tail. kind of shallow thatyou didnt see the whole fish or at least the back.

Comment

Sheepshead most likely
      We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

probably mullet but blacks do tail...they tend to be by themselves...pretty cool when you see a large big ugly in shallows digging for crab
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by baby tran cat View Post
          probably mullet but blacks do tail...they tend to be by themselves...pretty cool when you see a large big ugly in shallows digging for crab
          like a hog on acorns .
          GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Sheepshead, Drum, even groups of Hard Heads will at times.

Comment

Originally posted by SCHU View Post
              Maybe sheephead or drum, but dont know if drums tail. kind of shallow thatyou didnt see the whole fish or at least the back.
              Yeah, I think it is time to upgrade my sunglasses. I had some nice ones and lost them. Any suggestions on color for the bay?

Comment

Amber/brown is what I prefer if I had one shade. Polarized of course .
                GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

I use the ones Plugger said. I got mine at Bass Pro. I got the XPS ones. I also got the amber ones. They really work for the glare off the water and driving in the rain. I also got the clip on the side polarize sunglasses from Walmart. My wife got the ones that go over her glasses. Mine cost $13 for scratch resistance, and my wife's cost $19. Hope this helps. Lord Bless.
                  robert
                  And all things, whatsoever you shall ask in prayer, BELIEVING, YE shall receive. Mathew 21:22.

Comment

Working...
                  X