No announcement yet.

Thinking about starting kayak fishing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about starting kayak fishing.

Hello,
    I am heavily considering the purchase of a kayak so I can start kayak fishing. What is a good one man kayak, i am a big guy, 6 foot five, 280 lbs? Also, what are some of the essentials I need in order to do it safely? I know i need a PFD. But what else?

Any help would be greatly welcomed.

Life jacket, whistle,flash light, anchor, and i always carry extra rope, and of course the iced down Coors Lite. Ocean kayaks are good for a big person they are sleds lol. Or the high dollar Hobie's, or a Malibu.
    Karma's a beach.

Comment

Just buy this one from Kenny and see how you like it. Can't beat the price.
      sigpic
      Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

I have that kayak, and it wouldnt be good for a person his size.
        Karma's a beach.

Comment

I like Wilderness Systems Kayaks. Model: Ride or Tarpon. Also, a rudder helps alot in high winds ans srong current.
          "The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword"

Comment

Love the WS Tarpons but love the Hobies better!
            Resident Ninja

Comment

I love our Wilderness Systems, but there are plenty of cheaper brands for beginners not wanting to spend as much. Good accessories are rod holders, anchors, dry bags with first aid, flashlight, radio, duct tape, etc. The best thing about kayaks is you can add so much and personalize them pretty easily.
              You never know what the tide might bring

Comment

Check this forum out: http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/forum/
                There are people selling kayaks all the time and you can usually find what you're looking for at 50% cost or less. Most folks will let you paddle them around so you can get a good idea of what it's like.
                "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

x2 on Curmudgeon's link.
                  Also watch Craigslist.
                  For your size, I'd still tend to recommend an Ocean Kayak, though with the wider beam it doesn't track as well.

Originally posted by Curmudgeon View Post
                  Check this forum out: http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/forum/
                  There are people selling kayaks all the time and you can usually find what you're looking for at 50% cost or less. Most folks will let you paddle them around so you can get a good idea of what it's like.
                  At his baptism, Sam Houston was told his sins were washed away. He reportedly replied, “I pity the fish downstream.” - Nov. 19, 1854 - Independence, Texas

Comment

Id suggest the exact kayak I have. I'm 6'4" and 280 lbs. I use a Mailubu X-factor Fish and Dive.

It has everything you NEED to get going. Its got rod holders (Only recommend using the rear 2 when paddling), a big hatch in the front,a couple other storage compartments, plenty of room in the back for a cooler and a bait bucket. Invest in a REALLY good seat. You want comfort. I think mine is a surf to summit.

Sit-on-top kayak accessories and outdoor products including kayak seats, inflatable kayaks, sit on top kayaks, canoe accessories, kayak thigh braces, waterproof

Kayaking is really enjoyable. Make sure you make a good investment. I saw a kayak on Texaskayakfisherman.com all rigged up with a rudder, paddles and ready to go for $900. It was a heck of a deal. Ive owned 4 yaks and let me tell you, you get what you pay for. Stay out of academy and do some reading. Pay close attention to the weight capacity.

As far as tracking with a larger yak, Ive always been very impressed with the X-Factor. Im sure a rudder would be a cool addition though. Ive also heard some good things about Cobra FnD for bigger guys but Ive never used one. Let us know what you decide and post up what youve figured out.

Comment

Call Mark @ KO Sailing in Kemah. He is very knowlegable & has a large selection, in stock. We just got a pair of the Hobie Pro Angler 12's. Talk about PIMP!!!!!

Shawn

Comment

Working...
                      X